Because of the relatively undeveloped character of Southwest Area, public schools were not established then until well into the twentieth century. The nearest school in the earlier years was the Grandview School on Watson Road south of Arsenal Street, which was opened in 1881. It was a typical one-room rural school house of that period. Ten years later, the Longfellow School was opened at Smiley and Ivanhoe Avenues and for some years it was the elementary school that was attended by children from Lindenwood and Harlem Place. By 1912, the Lindenwood area was sufficiently built up to warrant the establishment of a school, and three portable buildings were erected on the present site at 3815 McCausland Avenue. The present brick Lindenwood School was designed by architect R. M. Milligan and was completed in 1929. In 1920, the present Susan R. Buder School at 5319 Lansdowne Avenue superseded portables in the Southampton area. It was also designed by Milligan and had an addition erected in 1927. It was named for a well-known advocate of children's playgrounds.
The Samuel M. Kennard School at 5031 Potomac Street was opened in 1930. It was designed by George W. Sanger and is named for a well-known St. Louis merchant.
In 1938, the Edward Mallinckrodt School was completed at 6012 Pernod Avenue as a P.W.A. project. It was also designed by Sanger and is named after the noted philanthropist and founder of the Mallinckrodt Chemical Company.
Two schools, identical in plan, opened in 1952 and replaced former portable buildings on their sites. These were the Nottingham School at 4915 Donovan Avenue and the Adolphus Busch School at 5910 Clifton Avenue, which is named for the famous brewer. Both of these buildings were designed by architect F. Ray Leimkuehler.
Although it is located slightly north of the boundary of this district, Southwest High School is so well identified with the southwestern part of the City, that it should be mentioned here. The original portion of the high school was completed in 1936 from plans by architect George W. Sanger. In 1957, an addition was made on its northern side and in 1964 the three-sided section on Kingshighway, enclosing an outdoor court, was constructed. Originally, the site of Southwest High School was part of the campus of Kemper College, an Episcopalian institution, which was opened in 1838. It was closed in 1845 due to financial difficulties and later some of its buildings were used as the County Poor House. Around the turn of the century, the present high school site was occupied by Koerner's Summer Garden.
Bishop Louis DuBourg High School was originally located in several buildings at Jefferson Barracks beginning about 1950. It remained there until 1954, when the present building at 5850 Eichelberger Street was completed from plans by architects Murphy and Mackey. At the time of its erection, DuBourg High School was said to be the largest structure to be built in the Archdiocese of St. Louis since the completion of the New Cathedral in 1914. The school's seventeen acre site had been purchased earlier by the late Cardinal Glennon. The completed school building was dedicated by Archbishop Ritter on September 12, 1954. At that time it had a capacity of 1600 students and in 1956 it was enlarged by a twentyroom annex at its western end, increasing the capacity to 2,200.
Image- Mallinckrodt School - 6020 Pernod Avenue.
Image- St. Joan of Arc School on Pernod near Hampton.
Image- St. Raphael the Archangel School.
Image- Southwest High School at Kingshighway and Arsenal Street.
Image- Word of Life Lutheran School Eichelberger and Jamieson.
Image- The Nottingham School at 4915 Donovan Avenue.