An interesting historical record of a neighborhood's past can be found in the names of its streets, which memorialize prominent citizens and landowners. Among the landholders who are commemorated by street names in the Southwest Area are James McCausland, James V. Prather, Joseph Weil, Louis Finkman, Adele Tholozan, Wesley Watson, William L. and Solomon P. Sublette and James D. Fyler. Surveyors and engineers are represented by John M. Loughborough, who was Surveyor-General of Missouri and Illinois in the 1850's; James Macklind, Mackay Wherry, H. C. Hilgard and Edmond Kinsey. Subdivider's names include Bradley, Smiley, Scanlan, Rudolph Moellenhoff, Wenzlick, Donovan and Cyrus Crane Willmore. Sam T. Rathell, the developer of Lindenwood, is said to have asked his wife, Oleatha, to suggest street names for his subdivision. She complied by naming one for herself; another for Lindenwood College, her Alma Mater, Marquette for the public school her children attended and Mardel for Delmar, the street on which she resided. Another story concerns Everard Horton, who owned a farm in what later became Southampton, and named one of his lanes after his home in the English county of Devonshire. Apparently this is also the derivation for Nottingham, Lansdowne and Sutherland. Bancroft Avenue is thought to be named for George Bancroft, the noted American historian and statesman who died in 1891. Two prominent Americans of the 1880's who are commemorated are General Winfield Scott Hancock, a Union general in the Civil War and Democratic presidential nominee in 1880, and Chester Alan Arthur, the Republican vice-president, who succeeded to the presidency after the assassination of James A. Garfield in 1881. Both Hancock and Arthur died in 1886, shortly before the opening of the Harlem Place subdivision. Another politician whose name survives on a street is John B. Walsh, the first mayor of Carondelet, whose founder Delor, is also commemorated. Among the farmers remembered are John J. Murdoch and Jacob Tamm. In a patriotic gesture during World War I, Kaiser Street was renamed Gresham, in honor of one of the first local soldiers to be killed in France. Additional street name changes involved Wiesehahn to Bonita, Clark Road to Eichelberger, Des Peres to Arthur and Lake to Ivanhoe, both of the latter two occurring in the early 1880's. Two important streets in the area are Hampton and Jamieson Avenues. The former was so named as the western most street in the Southampton subdivision and the latter is named for Will and James Jamieson, who were early residents of Harlem Place. Reber Place was named for Samuel Reber, a St. Louis lawyer and landowner and Frisco Avenue was obviously named for the nearby railroad. Sulphur Avenue takes its name because it was the road to David W. Graham's sulphur spring, near Manchester Road. Clifton Avenue is a southern extension of a street of the same name in the Clifton Heights subdivision. Itaska Street gets its title from a lake in Minnesota and Neosho is named for a river in Kansas. Vienna and Prague Avenues were apparently named by someone in the Willmore Organization who had an affection for European cities. An important north-south thoroughfare through the area is named for Derrick A. January, who developed an addition in the Sulphur Spring tract about 1856. Another early landholder whose name survives on a street is John Dalton, who owned property on Arsenal Street Road during the 1860's. A beneficial by-product of the construction of Highway 44 was the elimination of the dangerous Fyler Street Bridge, which had been the scene of numerous fatal automobile accidents.
Image- Chippewa and Hampton looking northwest in 1949.
Image- View east of Arsenal Street from Watson Road in 1926.