About 1900, a streetcar line was constructed on Kingshighway, running southward from Vandeventer Avenue to Devonshire Avenue and thence westward to a loop at Macklind Avenue in Southampton. About that same time, the Cherokee line was extended out Gravois to a loop at the present location of Hampton Avenue. Another electric car line, the St. Louis, Lakewood and Grant Park Railway, departed from that same location and ran west into St. Louis County on a private right-of-way. It operated from about 1905 to 1915.
In the early 1920's, the Peoples Motorbus Company began operating a bus line on Kingshighway with a southern terminus at Gravois. This firm was absorbed by the St. Louis Public Service Company, which began a bus line on Chippewa Street in the early 1930's. Bus service on Hampton Avenue began in April, 1940, when a line was operated from the Southampton streetcar loop to Hampton and thence northward to Oakland Avenue. It began running to Hampton and Gravois in July, 1940. A St. Louis Hills bus line also began at the Southampton loop and ran out Nottingham Avenue to Jamieson. It later became a part of the Delor bus line, which was combined with the McCausland line in 1947. When the Southampton car line was abandoned in the 1950's, a substitute bus line was rerouted over Macklind, January and Loughborough Avenues. Bus service to the St. Louis Hills area is now provided by the McCausland-Delor, Loughborough and Lindenwood lines. Express bus service through parts of the area is furnished by the Shrewsbury and Yorkshire lines.
The only railroad near the area is the Frisco Railway, whose main line runs through Lindenwood. Around the turn of the century it operated commuter trains to downtown St. Louis and had a Lindenwood station at Marquette Avenue and a Gratiot station at Scanlan Avenue. That service ceased about 1920. It was the construction of the Frisco line through the area in the late 1880's that brought about the development of Lindenwood and Harlem Place.