Before 1909, fire apparatus answering calls in the Walnut Park area had to come from Baden and negotiate the steep hill on Calvary Avenue before reaching the scene. Firehouse #22 was opened at 5214 West Florissant in August 1909. It was motorized in 1920, and served until 1922, when House #35 (now #27) was opened at 5425 Partridge. At that time, they were still hampered by many unpaved streets. Police patrols at first came from the old mounted district headquarters in Forest Park and later from the Baden substation, opened in 1899. They were augmented by many private watchmen. The Ruskin Avenue (Sixth District) police station at Ruskin and West Florissant Avenues was completed in 1930.