A prominent institution in the Yeatman area for many years was the Mullanphy Hospital, operated by the Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul and named for its benefactor. Originally founded in 1828 at Fourth and Spruce Streets, the hospital occupied a large building on Montgomery Street east of Grand in 1874. This structure was damaged in the tornado of 1927 and two years later a move was made to the new De Paul Hospital building at 2415 North Kingshighway. The old building was then converted into the Ozanam Shelter for Men. In recent years it has been razed and its site is now occupied by an apartment project.
The Central Y.M.C.A. moved into a new building on the northeast corner of Grand Boulevard and Franklin Avenue in 1897, where it remained until the structure was destroyed by fire in 1921. Its present headquarters at 1528 Locust Street was occupied in 1925. The association has been operating in St. Louis since 1853 and met in downtown churches in its earlier years.
An entertainment fixture in the area for many years was the Odeon Theater at 1038 North Grand Boulevard. The theater and building were originally erected as a Masonic Temple in 1904. It lost its identification with that order in 1926 when the new Masonic Temple on Lindell was completed. The Odeon was the scene of many operatic and classical music presentations and was the home of the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra for a long period. In 1927 the two top floors of the five story building were destroyed by fire and following two more fires in 1935 the 3,000 seat theater was razed.
Image - Mullanphy Hospital
Image - The Odean Theater