For many years the City's oldest high school was located at 1030 North Grand Avenue at Windsor Place. Central High School, oldest west of the Mississippi, was founded in 1853 and from 1856 to 1893 was located at Fifteenth and Olive Streets. In the latter year it moved into a Victorian style brick building designed by Furlong and Brown, at the North Grand location. It occupied this structure until the building was wrecked in the tornado of September, 1927, in which five students lost their lives. The building was damaged beyond repair and Central High was relocated in the former Yeatman High building on North Garrison Avenue, where it had been housed for about a year while the Grand Avenue building was remodeled. Ironically, the building was reoccupied for only two weeks before the tornado destroyed it.
Hadley Technical High School began in the old Central High annex in 1929 and in November, 1931 it occupied a large industrial type school structure at 3405 Bell Avenue. It was named for Herbert Spencer Hadley; a former governor of Missouri. A gymnasium and auditorium annex was added to the school in 1955. Later, the building became the home of Vashon High when that school was relocated from its former building on Laclede Avenue. Hadley has been superseded by the O'Fallon Technical High School on Northrup Avenue west of Kingshighway, which was opened in the late 1950's.
Earliest of the elementary public schools to serve the area was the Stoddard School at Ewing and Lucas Avenues. The building was not in the Yeatman area, but its district overlapped into it as far north as Easton Avenue. Built primarily to serve the northern portion of Stoddard's Addition, the school was opened in 1867. It was a three story brick structure of twelve rooms accommodating 700 pupils. Similar in size and appearance was the Penrose School on Penrose (now Madison Street) near Glasgow Avenue, opened in 1868.
Next school built in the area was Divoll at 2918 Dayton Street, opened in 1872 and still in use. Somewhat larger than its contemporaries, the Divoll building had a capacity of 800 students. It was named for Ira C. Divoll, an early school superintendent and founder of the public library system. An addition, designed by Ernest T. Friton, was built in 1934.
In the western part of the Yeatman area, the Wayman Crow school was completed in 1882 at 3325 Bell Avenue. Originally named for a well-known St. Louis educator, it is now titled in honor of George Washington Carver, who was born a slave, but later became a scientist and benefactor of mankind.
A new Penrose School was erected on the site of the older one at 2824 Madison Stteet in 1894. This building, now abandoned, was later renamed in honor of W. P. Curtis, a pioneer dentist and physician. In 1949, the Curtis branch school was opened at 2825 Howard Street, followed in the next year by the Divoll branch at 2908 Dayton Street. In 1912, the Glasgow School was completed at 1415 North Garrison Avenue, from designs by William B. Ittner. It is presently named for Paul Lawrence Dunbar, an American poet. A branch school for it was finished in 1951 at 3018 Brantner Place. The Columbia School at 3120 St. Louis Avenue was completed in 1929 and was considerably enlarged in 1935.
Image - Old Central High School
Image - Hadley Technical High School
Image - Carver School