Because of its location northwest of the City center and about midway between downtown and the Fairgrounds, the Yeatman area was well served by public transit from its inception. Originally on the route of horse drawn omnibus lines to the Fairgrounds in the 1850's, the area was crossed by the horse car lines which superseded the omnibus in the 1860's. The principal transit line serving the area was the Citizen's Railway Company, which operated three branch lines through the district. Its Cass Avenue line ran west on Cass to Glasgow and thence northwardly to St. Louis Avenue, where it turned westward to beyond Grand Avenue.
The Northern Central branch, which later became the Natural Bridge line, ran out Biddle Street to Jefferson and thence over Gamble, Leffingwell, Thomas, Garrison, North Market and thence west to Spring Avenue and north to the Fairgrounds. Citizen's Railway Company's principal line operated on Franklin and Easton Avenues through the area and west to Wellston. Horse car lines also operated on Jefferson and Grand Avenues on the Yeatman area's eastern and western edges.
In 1886, the St. Louis Cable and Western Railroad built a cable car line which ran westwardly from downtown on Locust Street and then over Thirteenth, Lucas, Fourteenth, Washington and Franklin to Vandeventer and Morgan, where it connected with the narrow gauge steam railroad to Florissant. In 1891, the cable on the line was worn out and the company decided to electrify its entire line from downtown to Florissant, a distance of eighteen miles. Reorganized as the St. Louis and Suburban Railroad Company, it operated the longest electric car line in existence.
All car lines in the City were consolidated into the United Railways Company after the turn of the century and in later years all of its routes were converted to motorbus lines.