III: Meetings - Rules of BoA
Rules pertaining to annual, regular and special meetings, agenda postings, and journal of proceedings.
- The Board of Aldermen shall be annually convened on the third Tuesday in April and shall be called to order by the President at 10:00 a.m. (See City Charter, Art. IV, Sec. 9 and Rev. Code, Sec. 3.06.020)
- Newly elected members shall present their certificates of election and their names shall be entered upon the roll. Certificates of election shall be prima facie evidence of the right of the holder to his/her seat as a member of the Board of Aldermen and shall entitle him/her to vote on all questions except as provided by Rule 43. (See City Charter, Art. IV, Sec. 7)
- On the third Tuesday in April after a Mayoral election, or on some other date designated by the Board of Aldermen, at 12:00 Noon, in the Chamber of the Board of Aldermen at the City Hall, in the presence of the Board of Aldermen, the Mayor-elect shall be installed Mayor of the City. (Rev. Code, Sec. 3.04.010) A committee of five shall be appointed by the President to escort the Mayor-elect to the Aldermanic Chamber.
- Meetings of the Board of Aldermen shall be held in Room 230 in City Hall.Regular meetings shall be held at 10:00 a.m., on Fridays. Special meetings shall be held at such times as may be fixed by special motion, which motion shall be approved by a majority vote of the members present.
- All meetings shall be in the City Hall, subject to change of place in case of emergency. (See City Charter, Art. IV, Sec. 9)
The President, Vice-President and the Majority Floor Leader, or any two of them, may, when the Board is in session but not due to meet until a further date to which it has adjourned, convene the Board for a resumed regular meeting prior to such future date. When directed by the President, Vice-President and Majority Floor Leader, or any two of them, the Clerk of the Board shall cause a written notice to be mailed so as to be postmarked at least two days in advance of the meeting by Registered or Certified Mail to each member of the Board, stating the date, hour and place of such resumed regular meeting, and upon receipt of such notice each member shall be obligated to attend such meeting. After convening in such resumed regular meeting, the Board's order of business shall be the same as in all regular meetings.
All meetings of the Board of Aldermen and its Committees shall be open to the public, except that when the Board or a Committee votes to meet in closed session pursuant to law, said motion to close the meeting and the posted tentative agenda or calendar shall cite the specific section under law for taking such action. Only the topic cited for closing the meeting can be discussed during any such closed meeting. If exceptional circumstances prevent 24 hour prior notice or prevent the meeting being held at a convenient time or in a place reasonably accessible to the public, the reasons should be so stated in the minutes and recorded in the Journal. (See Sections 610.010 to 610.030, RSMo)
Fifteen members shall constitute a quorum, but a smaller number may adjourn from day to day and may compel the attendance of absentees under penalty of censure and/or fine. (See City Charter, Art. IV, Sec. 7)
Unless a member's absence is excused on motion, stating the cause thereof, and adopted by a majority of the members present, whenever a member of the Board other than the President is absent from a Regular, Resumed or Special Meeting of the Board of Aldermen, he or she shall forfeit ten dollars ($10) of salary, and if a member is absent from two meetings, he or she shall forfeit fifty dollars ($50) of salary; provided however that forfeitures by any one member shall not exceed eight hundred dollars ($800) in any one year.
No forfeiture imposed because of absence shall be remitted. (See City Charter, Art. IV, Sec. 4 and Rev. Code, Sec. 3.06.090)
A copy of the tentative agenda for each Board meeting including the date, place, time and whether the meeting is open or closed to the public, shall be placed on the desk of each Alderman, electronically mailed to each Alderman by the Clerk, posted by the Clerk on the Aldermanic Bulletin Board, posting on the official Board of Aldermen website and be available to any person by 5:00 p.m. on the second day before each Board Meeting. No item may be included on the printed tentative agenda after 5:00 p.m. two days prior to said meeting. A calendar reflecting meeting days, holidays, and other pertinent dates which can be determined in advance shall also be posted on the Board of Aldermen Bulletin Board. (See Sections 610.010 to 610.030, RSMo) (If a Board meeting is on a Friday, the electronic mailing to aldermen, posting on the Aldermanic Bulletin Board, posting on the official Board of Aldermen website and the availability to any person must be by 5:00 p.m. on the Wednesday before the Board meeting.)
The Board of Aldermen shall keep a journal of its proceedings, and the yeas and nays on any question shall at the desire of any member present be entered thereon. The proceedings of each meeting of the Board shall be published within five days. (See City Charter, Art. IV, Sec. 8)