Register a Car
Steps to register a Motor Vehicle in the City of St. Louis
Residents of the City of St. Louis must register their motor vehicle with the city.
If you live in the City of St. Louis, you may be eligible to renew your plates online at the Missouri Department of Revenue website.
If you are eligible for this convenient option, a Personal Identification Number (PIN) will be printed on your renewal notice.
To register your vehicle and receive or renew license plates you must obtain and bring the following to any Missouri Department of Revenue fee office:
- A paid personal property tax receipt from the Collector of Revenue's office
- A property tax waiver from the City Assessor's office if no personal property tax was assessed for the prior year.
In addition, you must provide:
- The vehicle's title
- Missouri Highway Patrol safety inspection (not more than 60 days old)
- Emissions inspection notice (not more than 60 days old)
- Proper identification: Driver's license, (if your license has your social security number you need not bring anything else)
- Social security card with an additional form of ID.
Go to the Department of Revenue Licensing Office for the State of Missouri located in City Hall:
St. Louis City Hall Fee Office
1200 Market Street Room 111
St. Louis, MO 63103
- Present Paid personal property tax receipt or a property tax waiver, and the documents outlined in the preparation section.
- Pay total assessed fees by check or credit card.
- Personal Identification Number (PIN) printed on your renewal notice.
- Visit the Missouri Department of Revenue Motor Vehicles Office.
Fee varies based on services.
What to Expect
- For registering your vehicle In Person you will have same day car renewal and registration.
- Online from the State of Missouri registration may vary.
Two Year Registration
If you are applying for a 2-year registration, you will need the past 2 years worth of paid tax receipts.
If you have recently moved to the City of St. Louis, you must obtain your property tax waiver from the county in which you lived on January 1st.
Report Lost or Stolen License Plates or Tags
How to Report Lost or Stolen License Plates or Tags
Collector - City Hall Fee Office
St. Louis, Mo 63103
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.