The City of St. Louis Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA 1) Program is aimed at keeping families in their homes by helping income-eligible renters within the City of St. Louis who are past due in rent or utilities and have suffered financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you have previously received assistance through STL City CARES or MHDC's SAFHR program, you are not eligible to apply.
The ERA 1 Program is intended only for residential tenants. If you are a landlord wanting to apply on behalf of your tenant, please fill out the Missouri Housing Development Commission's SAFHR application here.
- Make sure your household meets the eligibility requirements for assistance. Requirements include having a household income at or below 80% of the area median income (AMI).
50% and 80% of the St. Louis City Area Median Income (AMI) Household Size 50% AMI 80% AMI 1 $11,606 $46,450 2 $33,200 $53,050 3 $37,350 $59,700 4 $41,450 $66,300 5 $44,800 $71,650 6 $48,100 $79,950 7 $51,400 $82,250 8 $54,750 $87,550Note: As per federal regulation, this program prioritizes assistance to households with incomes less than 50% area median income and to households with one or more members that have been unemployed for at least 90 days. The City is also prioritizing those applicants that have received an eviction notice.
- For email and online applications, ensure that you have a valid email address. For phone and mail applications, ensure that you have a valid phone number.
- Review and gather all information necessary to complete the application, including:
- Proof of St. Louis City residence
- Head of Household picture ID
- Written documentation from landlord
- The household must demonstrate financial hardship due to COVID-19. You will be asked to provide proof of income and a statement explaining how COVID-19 has impacted household income.
Completed applications can be submitted in 4 ways:
Download, fill out and print the PDF application. Mail or drop off application and supporting materials:
Department of Human Services
1520 Market Street, #4065
St. Louis, MO, 63102
Call 2-1-1 or (800) 427-4626 to apply over the phone. You will still need to mail or email your supporting documents. The phone operator will provide you with instructions.
Use the Begin Online button below to apply.
What to Expect
Due to the size of this program and the volume of applicants anticipated, please allow 3-4 weeks to receive a response. The City of St. Louis is working with the United Way on the administration of the rental assistance program. That means you may receive emails from email@example.com or one of our partner agencies in reference to your application. Please check your email (including the spam or junk mail folder) and keep an eye on voicemail messages, as one of our partner agencies may be trying to connect with you.
More information on the program and eligibility requirements can be found on the Emergency Rental Assistance Program page.
Department of Human Services
1200 Market Street
Room 401, City Hall
St. Louis, Mo 63103
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday