Beginning April 1, 2021, eligible City residents will be able to apply online for the State Assistance for Housing Relief (SAFHR) Program.
The SAFHR Program provides rent and utility assistance for households who have been impacted by COVID-19. Eligible tenants can apply for financial assistance to be paid directly to their landlord or utility provider. Financial assistance includes rent and utility arrears for the period beginning April 2020 and up to 3 months of forward rent and prepaid fuel utility assistance.
If you have NOT already applied for the City’s Rental Assistance Program, see below for application instructions.
If you have already applied to the City’s Rental Assistance Program, our team is continuing to review your application in the order in which it was received. The City will utilize funding directly received by the U.S. Treasury to assist the remaining applicants and prioritize residents on the eviction docket.
- Make sure your household meets the eligibility requirements for assistance. Requirements include having a household income at or below 80% of the area median income.
Rental assistance eligibility requirements by household size and gross income Household Size Gross Income at 80% or below of the area median income 1 $46,450 2 $53,050 3 $59,700 4 $66,300 5 $71,650 6 $79,950 7 $82,250 8 $87,550
- Ensure that you have a valid email address. Applications will be completed through an online system. Applicants must have a valid email address to apply.
- Review and gather all information necessary to complete the application, including: See the SAFHR application materials page for more information on what you will need.
- Lease agreement
- Photo ID
- Supporting income documentation
- Landlord W-9, etc.
- Use Google Chrome or Firefox web browsers to complete application.
Use of other browsers, especially Internet Explorer, can result in loss of functionality and incorrect or incomplete information being submitted in your application, which could result in a delayed processing.
- If you cannot apply online or need help with your application, please call (833) 541-1599 or email email@example.com.
What to Expect
Depending on the volume of utility requests, payment of utility requests could take several weeks after processing begins. If an application contain both rent and utility requests, the rental request and the utility request(s) will be processed separately. RENTAL ARREARS and FORWARD RENTAL ASSISTANCE applications will begin processing immediately. Applicants can submit more than one application for assistance, as long as it is not for the same type of request (i.e. rent, electric, gas, etc.) for the same time period.
For questions regarding your application, email SAFHR here, or call (833) 541-1599.
More information on the program and eligibility requirements can be found on the State Assistance for Housing Relief (SAFHR) Program.
If you are a landlord seeking assistance, you may work with your tenant to apply for assistance through the SAFHR program, or you may also be eligible to apply on behalf of your tenant for rental arrears assistance under the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP). Learn more about ERAP.