Located at Grand and Russell Avenues on the east side of the street, the large reservoir wall was designed by Guy Study. The arrangement of steps and wall fountains is in the manner of those in the gardens of Italian villas. Two bronze tablets on either side of the steps on the west wall give all of the historic information about the reservoir.
The water tower, built as superstructure for Stand Pipe No. 3 in 1899 after a Romanesque design by George Mann, is a South Saint Louis landmark. This brick shaft with its stone base quickly became a favorite spot from which to view the City, but is now closed to the public. During the 1930's, the reservoir was covered with a concrete roof upon which tennis courts were placed in use until World War II. Balustrades and two large fountain basins on either side were added the following year and the massive head by Architects Roth and Study was designed in the west retaining wall.
You can tour the water tower and climb to the top on the first Saturday of each month from April to November, and also on full moon nights.
the east side of the park has a dog park available to members:
The Water Tower Dog Park, Inc. (“WTDP”) is a Missouri nonprofit corporation established to construct, maintain and operate the dog park facilities located in Compton Hill Reservoir Park.. (“WTDP”) is a Missouri nonprofit corporation established to construct, maintain and operate the dog park facilities located in Compton Hill Reservoir Park.
The Dog Park membership is separate from the Water Tower & Park Preservation Society membership.
For more information about the Dog Park ONLY call 314-865-2374 ask for Richard. email@example.com