Section 8 Occupancy Permits
Information on applying for a Section 8 Occupancy Permit.
Application for Section 8 occupancy permits is made in person with one of the Customer Service Representatives of the Permits Section at City Hall, Rm. 425. All residential occupancy permit applications require a notarized letter from the owner of the property if the application is being made by someone other than the owner.
Section 8 occupancy permits are valid for a rental unit until the owner changes.
When you come to the Permit Office and meet with a Customer Service Representative please bring your payment and required notarized letter if you do not own the property.
The inspectors that will always examine a building for Section 8 occupancy are:
- Building Inspector
- Electrical Inspector
- Mechanical Inspector
- Plumbing Inspector
If there are 5 or more units in the building, the Fire Marshall will also inspect the property.
A date will be set for inspections to take place. Someone needs to be present between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. on that date to let the inspectors in.
The costs of a Section 8 occupancy application are:
- $80.00 for the first unit
- $20.00 for additional units in the same building
Currently, the Permit Office accepts cash and checks only.
What to Expect
After the inspections take place:
- If any one of the inspectors assigned to the property find major violations, then that will preclude the applicant from receiving an Occupancy permit. The applicant is sent a "violation letter". The owner must correct the problems and schedule a re-inspection which must be passed by the inspector who issued the original violation prior to being issued an occupancy permit.
- If the inspectors only find minor violations, the permit may be issued. Any minor violations will still need to be corrected and cleared with the inspector.
- If no violations are found the permit will be issued.
The Section 8 occupancy permit application is valid for 60 days, after which time it is considered abandoned.
1200 Market St. Rm 425
St. Louis, Mo 63103
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.