How to Apply for a Section 8 Residential Occupancy Permit

Information on applying for a Section 8 Residential Occupancy Permit.


Applications for Section 8 residential occupancy permits are made in person at the Building Permits Section at City Hall, Rm. 425.

Section 8 occupancy permits are valid for a rental unit until the owner changes.

For non-owner applications

All residential occupancy permit applications require a notarized letter from the owner of the property. if the application is being made by someone other than the owner.


  1.  Bring payment in person to the Building Permits Section of City hall.  Room 425
  2. If you are the property owner you can apply for section 8 in person, if you are not the property owner you must bring a notorized letter signed by the property owner.
  3. After application and payment an inspectors will examine the building.
  4. A date will be set for inspections to take place. The Owner or representative needs to be present between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. on that date to allow the inspectors on the property.


The costs of a Section 8 occupancy application are:

  • $80.00 for the first unit
  • $20.00 for additional units in the same building

Currently, the Permit Office accepts cash and checks only.

What to Expect

After the inspections take place:

  • If any one of the inspectors assigned to the property find major violations, then that will preclude the applicant from receiving an Occupancy permit. The applicant is sent a "violation letter". The owner must correct the problems and schedule a re-inspection which must be passed by the inspector who issued the original violation prior to being issued an occupancy permit.
  • If the inspectors only find minor violations, the permit may be issued. Any minor violations will still need to be corrected and cleared with the inspector.
  • If no violations are found the permit will be issued.

Additional Information

The Section 8 occupancy permit application is valid for 60 days, after which time it is considered abandoned.

Types of Building Inspections required

The inspectors that will always examine a building for Section 8 occupancy are:

  • Building Inspector
  • Electrical Inspector
  • Mechanical Inspector
  • Plumbing Inspector

More than 5 units

If there are 5 or more units in the building, the Fire Marshall will also inspect the property.


Permit Section

(314) 622-3313

1200 Market
Room 425
St. Louis, Mo 63103

Monday - Friday 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM Hot Spot Desk 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM

Contact the Permit Section

Was this page helpful?      

Comments are helpful!
500 character limit

Feedback is anonymous.