City Hall Rotunda Usage Information
City Hall Rotunda is available for weddings, receptions, parties, and other special events.
Events using the Rotunda area of City Hall must be scheduled (including set-up and clean up) so that normal business is not interrupted.
- An Elected Official residing in the City of St. Louis must request news conferences, public or political announcements and the like.
- The Office of Special Events must approve displays of governmental or civil organizations.
- Solicitations of any kind are specifically prohibited in City Hall.
- No food or beverage is allowed in the Rotunda, unless a part of the approved event, and all proper licenses, insurance and other conditions have been met.
Before you begin the application for the City Hall Rotunda, call our office at (314) 589-6640 to confirm that the venue is available for your date and time.
Your reservation is not confirmed until the deposit fee and application form is received in our office.
The applicant is required to submit a deposit of not less than 20% of the user fee at the time of application.
If the application is not accepted, the deposit will be returned with the denial letter.
Step 1: Confirm availability of Rotunda
Confirm availability of Rotunda by calling Office of Special Events (314)589-6640
Step 2: Download Application
Step 3: Complete and Submit Application
Fill out the application and return it with the deposit to the Office of Special Events within two weeks of contacting the office. The applicant is responsible for filing the application in a timely manner.
Please note: All tours and photo shoots must be scheduled so that they do NOT interfere with regular City business activity.
Step 4: Insurance Requirements
The permit applicant (and only the applicant) must provide the following insurance coverage:
- General Liability covering personal and contractual, broad form liability, property damage and medical expense in a combined single limit of at least $1,000,000. Such coverage shall not exclude liquor liability if alcoholic beverages are to be furnished or sold.
- Automobile Liability covering bodily injury and property damage in a combined single limit of at least $500,000 if the applicant is furnishing transportation to guests or participants in the event.
Any service provider (catering, cleaning, security, production company, rental company) shall provide the following insurance coverage:
- General liability covering company and contractual, broad form liability, property damage, medical expense and products liability if providing food and beverages in a combined single limit of $1,000,000. Such coverage shall not exclude liquor liability if alcoholic beverages are to be furnished or sold.
- Automobile Liability covering bodily injury and property damage in a combined single limit of at least $500,000. Coverage should include all delivery and service vehicles to be used for the event.
- Worker's Compensation Insurance at Section B, statutory limits.
Step 5: Evidence of Insurance
Evidence of these insurance requirements must be provided via a standard Certificate of Insurance form submitted at least fifteen (15) days before the event to:City of St. Louis
St. Louis ,
The City of St. Louis shall be named as an additional insured on all coverage. At least ten (10) days notice shall be given prior to any cancellation or change in any of the policies.
- No Permit Fee
Mayor's Office, Comptroller's Office, President-Board of Aldermen, City Programs, Civil Groups, Mayor's Office sponsored civic functions, Judicial Inaugurations, Legislature member's receptions, Police Department receptions, etc.
Wedding Ceremonies Only
- Permit Fee $150 (99 people or less)
- Permit Fee $200 (100-199 people)
Maximum time allowed for ceremony will be two hours (including rehearsal & photos). No food or drinks allowed. If there is a wedding of 200 or more people, please see Private Rental. Rehearsal time & photo time must also be scheduled if outside of the two hours.
- Permit Fee $400 (plus 2nd Floor $500)
Church charities, other charitable or not for profit organization functions. Proof of not-for-profit status required.
- Permit Fee $950 (plus 2nd Floor $1,200)
Dinner parties, receptions including wedding receptions, organization's receptions, dinners/dances and company receptions, dinner/dances.
In any case where a personal check is returned for insufficient funds, the Office of Special Events will take immediate steps to collect fee plus a $20 service charge. Payment to be made by cashier's check or money order only. If after two attempts to collect fail by this department, the Law Department will be notified.
What to Expect
- Applications are considered on a first come, first served basis.
- Upon receipt of permit application, we will process it and notify you within a couple of days.
- The applicant will be responsible to ensure that there is not illegal activity on the premises.
- Applicant will be held responsible for any damage to the area permitted for use in the rotunda or other areas used during the event.
For your convenience, you may also download here a list of insurance providers, caterers and other preferred suppliers that are familiar with holding an event in the Rotunda.The City provides a limited number of services, upon request, with your permit to use the Rotunda facilities, which are as follows:
The Rotunda area has limited perimeter heating around the area and in the hallways. Normally, with a crowd of people, this is adequate. No other heating is available. No air conditioning or fans are available in the rotunda areas, so hot weather use is not advisable.
A multiple outlet box (6 duplex, 110-volt and two 220-volt) is available, for a fee of $150.00, located in the hallway at the southeast corner of the Rotunda. Any additional electrical service, including any on the second level will have to be arranged for in advance and will be provided for by the City at an additional fee of $150.00. The applicant or their contractors may not provide this service.
No catering facilities (kitchens, steam tables, ovens, etc.) are available. All catering facilities must be brought in. See the Additional Information section below for links to preferred catering and other service providers. Any other company will require approval prior to consent of permit.
A limited number of coat racks (two) are available, but without coat checks. The applicant must provide coat-checking service.
A limited number of trash barrels with liners are available. Caterers should provide for their needs. Trash can be disposed of in the dumpsters outside the west side of City Hall. Security will give caterers and clean-up people access.
Alcoholic beverages may be served; however, you have to contact the Excise Commissioner's Office (314-622-4191) about any needed permits.
Access to City Hall for caterers, rental contractors (tables, chairs, etc.), florists, decorators, etc., is available from the basement level via the tunnel on the northwest side of the building. A freight elevator is available in the center of the south side. No other access is to be used. Deliveries must be scheduled so that business of City Hall is not interrupted. All catering equipment, tables, chairs, decorations, trash, etc., must be removed immediately after the event.
Caterers and other service contractors are expected to remove all equipment, etc. as specified above. St. Louis City Housekeeping will be assigned to the event at a rate of $20.00 per hour, the number of housekeeping staff will be determined by the size of the event, i.e., one staff personnel for each 100 guests. If the event does not have food or beverage included with the permit, an inspection of area will be made following the event. If the area is found to need housekeeping service, the City will perform a special cleaning project and invoice applicant for this service.
At least one Security Officer/City marshal will be on duty during your event. Please contact him/her upon arrival. Additional security is required based on the number of people attending the event.
Flag Removal (Only if more than one floor is reserved)
If more than the 1st floor is reserved and you request the flags to be removed from the rotunda, there will be an additional $50.00 charge.
There is no free parking on the lot adjacent to City Hall. Please contact Don Luczak (314-622-5667) in the Treasurer's Office to make parking arrangements. Parking ranges from $5.00 to $20.00 per spot.
Thank you for your interest in using the beautiful and historic rotunda of St. Louis City Hall for your event. Please remember that this building is the home of our City government and must be respected and treated as such.
Office of Special Events
1200 Market Street
Room 418 City Hall
St. Louis, Mo 63103
8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday