St. Louis, Mo. (January 19, 2012) – With new hands-on education, specials on hundreds of boats and outdoor accessories, plus several new attractions, there’s no better place for a summer escape than the 2012 Progressive Insurance St. Louis Boat & Sportshow. The 2012 show not only offers attendees an outdoor shopping paradise in the middle of winter, but also plenty of activities for the whole family to enjoy, from scuba diving to DIY seminars at Fred’s Shed.
“The 2012 Progressive Insurance St. Louis Boat & Sportshow is the best place to start gearing up for summer fun with hundreds of boats for sale from top dealers in the region, enabling visitors to compare prices, take advantage of big sales and board boats all under one roof,” said Mark Adams, show manager. “This event is a family favorite for St. Louis, offering not only the best deals on boats and outdoor products, but also entertaining and interactive features that get everyone thinking about the warmer months ahead. There’s no better winter destination to discover the outdoors!”
Special features at the 2012 Progressive Insurance St. Louis Boat & Sportshow include:
Hands-on Learning: DIY Boat Repairs, Fishing Skills, SCUBA and More! Whether interests lie in motor repairs, lures and baits, or “diving deep,” these features offer something for everyone.
- NEW! DIY Paradise –Fred's Shed, DIY Seminars & Interactive Learning Center – Do-it-yourselfers or boat owners interested in maintaining, repairing or upgrading their boat or engine can head to Fred's Shed for practical, professional advice. Free, daily seminars and talk-show format clinics cover a variety of topics, and include demos and question/answer sessions. Please check the website for seminar schedules and further details. Fred’s Shed seminar topics include:
- Fuel system maintenance
- Keeping your boat “shipshape:” Detailing & general maintenance
- Installing and maintaining a marine battery
- Choosing and installing marine electronics
- NEW! Try SCUBA at the DEMA ‘Be a Diver Pool’! – New to the underwater world of SCUBA diving? All guests 10 and older are invited to take the plunge at the ‘Be a Diver Pool’. Visitors can submerge themselves into the fun and excitement of SCUBA diving in a tropically warm pool, test some of the latest diving equipment and have a photo taken underwater as a keepsake.
- The Allstate Boater and Outdoor Classroom – Boating and outdoor experts offer insight on topics that will improve skills, offer new techniques and make time spent on the water or outdoors more enjoyable. Topics include boat repair, boating skills, GPS navigation, outdoor electronics and more! Check the website for seminar topics and schedules.
- Texas Bass Tank – Don’t miss this 40-ft. aquarium filled with 5,000 gallons of water and stocked with a variety of native fish. Daily demonstrations by professional fishermen provide a rare underwater view of how fish react to and strike at various types of bait and fishing techniques (sponsored by Berkeley).
Just for Kids! Bring the kids along to enjoy the outdoors and beat cabin fever this winter. There are plenty of fun activities including:
- FREE Fishing for Kids at Becky Thatcher Trout Pond- There's no limit to the fun! The catch-and-release fishing pond is a great way to introduce kids to the sport of fishing. It's all free and available every day of the show.
- Kids' Cove- Parents can take a break at the interactive play area for young outdoor enthusiasts featuring hands-on activities, face painting, concessions and plenty of seating to relax.
- It’s a SHARK! Wait, it’s a Boat… - This shark won’t bite, but it does draw lots of attention on the Mississippi River every summer. Bring the cameras to have a family photo taken with the Shark Boat! To learn more about the Shark Boat visit, www.gypsyrosepirateship.com
- NEW! Dora the Explorer – Making a special appearance on Saturday and Sunday, February 11 and 12. Dora the Explorer will mingle with her fans and is happy to take pictures with the kids!
- Adopt-A-Pet- Families have the opportunity to give a home to a special furry friend, brought by the APA of Missouri. They will be bringing a selection of animals to adopt at the show on Saturday, February 11 from 10a.m.-5 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Returning Favorites: Nautical History, Leaping Dogs, and Turkey Calling & Owl Hooting- These favorites never get old at the Progressive Insurance St. Louis Boat & Sportshow:
- Antique & Classic Boat Display- Get an up close and personal look at beautiful classic boats, sit back and simply appreciate a bit of history. This exhibit allows visitors to step back in time and admire the craftsmanship and beauty of vintage craft presented by the Mississippi Valley Chapter of the Antique and Classic Boat Society of America.
- Dock Dogs - Watch canine athletes run down a 40-foot dock and jump into a 40-foot long pool of water to compete in Big Air® (long jump), Extreme Vertical® (high jump) and Speed Retrieve® (fastest dog to the end of the pool) competitions. An event like no other, DockDogs is sure to make a big splash at the show! Check www.dockdogs.com for more details.
- Turkey Calling and Owl Hooting Workshop/Contest - Learn the secrets of the pros and compete to win cash and prizes at the Mid-America Open Wild Turkey Calling and Owl Hooting Championships, the largest competition of its kind in the world. Sponsored by the St. Louis Wild Turkey Federation and a must-hear spectacle. Check St.LouisBoatShow.com for times and dates.
When: Wednesday through Sunday, February 8 - 12, 2012
Wednesday, February 8: 2pm–9pm
Thursday, February 9: 2pm–9pm
Friday, February 10: 12pm–9pm
Saturday, February 11: 10am–9pm
Sunday, February 12: 11am–5pm
Where: America's Center and Edward Jones Dome
701 Convention Center Plaza
St. Louis, MO 63101
Admission: $10 – Adults (16 years & older)
FREE – Children (15 years & under)
$14 - Two Day Pass (any day of the show)
$30 - Adult 4-pack, $10 savings! (Online purchase only)
Web: For more information and to pre-shop the show, visit StLouisBoatShow.com. Be a part of the conversation – become a fan on Facebook.
Editors’ Note: Visit StLouisBoatShow.com to sign-up for a press badge or contact Colleen Kenny at 312.946.6201 or email@example.com for press materials, photos and interviews.
About the Progressive Insurance St. Louis Boat & Sportshow: The Progressive Insurance St. Louis Boat & Sportshow is produced by the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA), the world’s largest producer of boat shows and the leading association representing the recreational boating industry. NMMA member companies produce more than 80 percent of the boats, engines, trailers, accessories and gear used by boaters and anglers throughout the U.S. and Canada. The association is dedicated to industry growth through programs in public policy advocacy, market statistics and research, product quality assurance and promotion of the boating lifestyle. For more information, visit www.nmma.org.
The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies is a leader in boat insurance and the largest seller of personal watercraft insurance in the U.S. It offers flexible, year-round coverage so boaters can go wherever they choose, whenever they choose and have peace of mind they’re protected. Specialty coverages which vary by state include On-Water Towing, Roadside Assistance, Personal Effects, Total Loss Replacement, and Pet Injury.
Progressive makes it easy to understand, buy, and use vehicle insurance. Progressive offers choices so consumers can reach us whenever, wherever, and however it’s most convenient for them—online at progressive.com, by phone at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE, or in-person with a local agent.