Property Boundary Change Information
Information on permits to change the boundaries of a piece of property
Property boundary change permits are required for property modifications including the following:
- Subdivisions – Splitting one property into two or more new properties
- Lot Consolidations – Combining two or more adjacent properties into one property
- Boundary Adjustments – Relocating the property line(s) between two or more adjacent properties
Permit Submission Process
The applicant must provide proof of payment of the previous year's real estate taxes for all properties involved. Tax receipts can be obtained from the Collector of Revenue's office.
The real estate taxes must be paid for the previous year throughout the application process. Example: for an application initiated in December 2020 and completed in January 2021, the real estate taxes would have to be paid for 2019 and 2020.
The City Assessor's Office has an interactive property search tool detailing property information and tax delinquencies.
Subdividing a property in which a building would be located along the proposed boundary (i.e. a townhome) requires a Townhome Fee Simple Conversion Permit from the Department of Public Safety - Building Division prior to subdivision approval. Inquiries may be directed to:
Department of Public Safety - Building Division
Monday-Friday, 9:00 am-3:00 pm
The applicant will need to have the following information and materials:
- the type of property modification
- project contact information
- property business/owner
- property address
- reasons for the boundary changes
- tax receipts
- plat drawings
Plat drawings must be prepared and sealed by a Licensed Professional Surveyor in the State of Missouri. Plat drawings must follow Chapter 445 of the Missouri Revised Statutes.
Upon review of the application, the BPS Design Division will contact the applicant with comments and the recommendation to approve/deny the application. An approval recommendation will be presented at the weekly Board meeting for final approval.
After approval issuance, the applicant must submit to the BPS Office of the Secretary:
- a hard copy mylar formatted plat drawing (18" x 24" or 22" x 34" size) notarized and signed by the owner(s) and lien holder(s)
- the signed/notarized waiver letter-accepting all terms and conditions of the permit (provided by BPS)
Office of the Secretary Board of Public Service 1200 Market St., Room 300 St. Louis, Missouri 63103
The mylar originals will be signed by the Board of Public Service President and the Board of Public Service Secretary to finalize the property changes.