Getting Archives from the Recorder of Deeds
The Archives Department is located in Room 129 of City Hall and may be reached at (314) 589-6796.
The Archives Department is the custodian of historic documents including birth and death records for St. Louis City, land records, marriage licenses , and articles of incorporation.
This office also helps with genealogical searches and in locating documents for academic or scholarly purposes.
Deed Copy Requirements – Information Customer Must Provide
- Payment for Walk-In Service is by Visa/MasterCard, Cash, Money Order, or Business Check. No personal checks.
- Payment for Mail-In Service is by Personal Check, Business Check, Money Order, or Cash.
- Provide Grantee Name (Buyer or Recipient)
- Provide Property Address (Street Number + Street Name)
- Provide Document’s Recorder Book and Page Numbers
Fee for Certified: $5 First Page + $2.00 Each Additional Page
Fee for Uncertified: $3 First Page + $2.00 Each Additional Page
Adoption Deeds (pre-1917)
$0 Name Search Using Deeds of Adoptions Card File Index
$3 Per Uncertified Copy
No Copies of Index Cards or Book Covers
Land Records – No Copies of Index
- $20 per ten year search for Grantor Index search
- $20 per ten year search for Grantee Index search
- $3 First Page Uncertified Copy
- $2 Each Page Thereafter, Same Document
- No Copies of Index Pages or Book Covers
- $4 Per Name for Bride Index search
- $4 Per Name for Groom Index search
What to Expect
No Refunds. No Exchanges After Document Leaves Office.
Customer is responsible for purchasing desired document copy.
Imaging & Microfilm Department
1200 Market St.
City Hall, Room 128
St. Louis, Mo 63103
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Friday