Getting Archives from the Recorder of Deeds
The Archives Department is located in Room 129 of City Hall and may be reached at (314) 589-6796.
The Archives Department is the custodian of historic documents including birth and death records for St. Louis City, land records, marriage licenses , and articles of incorporation.
This office also helps with genealogical searches and in locating documents for academic or scholarly purposes.
Deed Copy Requirements – Information Customer Must Provide
- Payment for Walk-In Service is by Visa/MasterCard, Cash, Money Order, or Business Check. No personal checks.
- Payment for Mail-In Service is by Personal Check, Business Check, Money Order, or Cash.
- Provide Grantee Name (Buyer or Recipient)
- Provide Property Address (Street Number + Street Name)
- Provide Document’s Recorder Book and Page Numbers
- Fee for Certified: $5 First Page + $2.00 Each Additional Page
- Fee for Uncertified: $3 First Page + $2.00 Each Additional Page
ADOPTION DEEDS (pre-1917)
- $0 Name Search Using Deeds of Adoptions Card File Index
- $3 Per Uncertified Copy
- No Copies of Index Cards or Book Covers
LAND RECORDS – No Copies of Index
- $20 per ten year search for Grantor Index search
- $20 per ten year search for Grantee Index search
- $3 First Page Uncertified Copy
- $2 Each Page Thereafter, Same Document
- No Copies of Index Pages or Book Covers
- $4 Per Name for Bride Index search
- $4 Per Name for Groom Index search
What to Expect
No Refunds. No Exchanges After Document Leaves Office.
Customer is responsible for purchasing desired document copy.
Recorder of Deeds and Vital Records Registrar
1200 Market St
City Hall Room 126 - 128
St. Louis, Mo 63103-2881
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM M - F No Saturday hours