About the St. Louis Development Corporation (SLDC)
Brief overview of the St. Louis Development Corporation, its boards, mission, objectives and strategies
St. Louis Development Corporation (SLDC) is an umbrella, not-for-profit corporation organized under Chapter 355 of the Missouri State Statutes with the mission of fostering economic development and growth in the City of St. Louis by stimulating the market for private investment in City real estate and business development and improve the quality of life for everyone who lives in, works in, and visits the City.
SLDC is directed by its own Board of Directors, and its employees serve as staff support for the City's economic development authorities:
- Clean Energy Development Board (CEDB)
- Enhanced Enterprise Zone Commission (EEZC)
- Industrial Development Authority (IDA)
- Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority (LCRA)
- Land Reutilization Authority (LRA)
- The St. Louis Local Development Company (LDC)
- Operation Impact
- Planned Industrial Expansion Authority (PIEA)
- Port Authority of the City of St. Louis (Port)
- Tax Increment Financing Commission (TIF)
To stimulate the market for private investment in City real estate and business development and improve the quality of life for everyone who lives in, works in, and visits the City of St. Louis.
- To advance the social welfare, health and economic interest of the City of St. Louis, and its residents.
- To foster increased employment opportunities and to promote and develop trade and industry in the City.
- To promote, develop and maintain safe and sanitary housing conditions for persons within the City.
- To acquire, own, lease and dispose of real and persona property related to its purpose.
Expansion and retention
SLDC and its authorities and agencies proactively engage in a wide variety of activities to address the City's business attraction, retention and expansion goals.
SLDC provides several forms of real estate development assistance to businesses, and housing and mixed-use developments. These include tax abatement, tax exempt bond financing, and tax increment financing.
Minority business development
SLDC strives to increase the number of minority and women owned businesses in the City and helps existing businesses achieve success through leadership, mentoring, and training partnering programs.
Agency-owned vacant and abandoned buildings
SLDC manages, maintains, markets and sells property acquired in the name of Land Reutilization Authority (LRA), the Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority (LCRA) and the Planned Industrial Expansion Authority (PIEA).
Site assembly and preparation
SLDC provides access to site assembly and site preparation programs and services that encourage the redevelopment of abandoned, underutilized, and environmentally compromised City properties.