Brownfields Cleanup Fund
The St. Louis Brownfields Cleanup Fund provides low-interest loans for property cleanup costs to qualified projects.
What is the Brownfields Cleanup Fund?
- Low-interest loans for property cleanup costs
- "Gap" financing to close gaps in development projects
- Flexible terms, including deferred payment option
- Extended amortization schedules allowing for low monthly payments
- Grants may be available to non-profit organizations
Who can apply?
- Property must be located in the City of St. Louis, within the Empowerment Zone
- Projects must be enrolled in the Missouri Brownfields/Voluntary Cleanup Program
- Borrower must contribute 20% of cleanup cost
- Certain other restrictions apply
How will projects be selected?
Priority will be given to projects which include:
- Significant job creation or retention
- Potential for near-term redevelopment success
- Use of smart growth and sustainable development strategies
- Reduction and/or elimination of threats to the environment and human health
- Reuse of existing infrastructure
- Reduction of non-point source pollution and improved water quality
- Creation or preservation of green space
- Involvement in the community and community support
What is the application process?
Every project goes through an initial screening process to determine if the property meets the Brownfields Cleanup Fund eligibility requirements. Eligible projects are then further screened through a more detailed application to determine whether they meet Brownfields Cleanup Fund lending criteria. Loan terms are negotiated with SLDC staff.