The new Olio wine bar and eatery on 1634 Tower Grove was formerly a Standard Oil Filling Station. The station was built in 1924 and was in service as a filling station and auto repair shop until at least 1975. SLDC was proud to provide partial funding for the cleanup in the form of a sub-grant of funds made available by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA)
Three underground storage tanks occupied the site at the time of excavation. Investigations were carried out to evaluate the impact of possible fluids from a subsurface hydraulic lift. Another concern was that hazardous materials may have leeched from three dry cleaners adjoining the site, which had been in operation at various times between 1942 and 1968.
The completed Olio wine bar and eatery (http://oliostl.com) is actually a dual project. Behind Olio stands Elaia (http://elaiastl.com), a renovated 1890s home that now serves as a 30-seat upscale dining establishment.
A view from inside Olio. The eatery retains a garage door as a reminder of its historic use. Other features include salvaged windows, marble counter tops, and an impressive use of daylighting in addition to modern light fixtures.