Business Assistance Specialist
Coordinates and facilitates obtaining licenses and permits with City government
Title: Business Assistance Specialist | Grade: 13 | FLSA: E
Supervisor's Title: Director of Business Assistance
Department: Business Assistance Center
Positions Supervised: N/A
Under general supervision, perform a wide variety of duties to assist community and business in solving city-related problems. Coordinate and facilitate the issuance of licenses and permits, and act as advocate on business problems, questions and complaints.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide a link between various City government departments and individuals to obtain licenses and permits: coordinate issuance of licenses and permits; interview applications to determine needs and assist in filling out application; assist with site plan preparation; initiate and update records on each applicant; research ownership of property and make site visits; assist in the interpretations of City ordinances; "walk through" paper work, when necessary, and monitor issuance of licenses or permit.
- Act as advocate on business problems, questions and complaints: mediate license and tax problems by establishing meeting between applicant and appropriate Agency head; assist with Heritage, Board of Adjustment and Board of Building Appeals hearings by providing information and guidance to prepare client for board proceedings; may assist in writing appeals.
- Assist individuals and businesses in solving City-related problems: provide information on areas, such as tax, real estate, loading dock or encroachments and other problems; provide assistance through visit to locations to determine problems and view area; compose letter outlining problem to Agency head and coordinate possible alternatives with appropriate individuals; coordinate the processing of possible alternatives with appropriate individuals; coordinate the processing of paper work to eliminate delays; refer clients on bids and loan packages.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Requires St. Louis City residency within 180 days of employment.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- Requires the ability to lift and carry files/papers of up to twenty pounds.
- Requires the ability to distinguish objects clearly in near vision for writing and computer work.
- Continuous basis, sitting at a desk for long periods, reaching around, and twisting to reach for equipment surrounding a desk.
- Environment may be fast-paced at times with customers waiting for service and others demanding service.
- Noise level is moderately quiet. Noise level does adjust when several services are being performed by other staff.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
St. Louis Development Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, disability, sex or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, veteran's status or marital status.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants can apply online using the application portal.