Corporate Communications and Media Director - November 2017
Develops and implements SLDC’s communications strategy. Delivers a broad range of corporate communications, thought leadership, public relations, and social media activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning SLDC, its vision, and its leadership. Builds relationships with the media, influencers, and internal and external stakeholders. This position is the organizations legislative liaison.
Title: Director, Corporate Communications and Media | Grade: 16 | FLSA: E
Supervisor's Title: Senior Director
Department: Organizational and Business Support
Positions Supervised: No Direct Reports
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience and a demonstrated track record of success in a management level corporate communications role
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced, results-oriented, collaborative environment
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field or equivalent experience is required, an advanced degree is preferred
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with reporters and editors.
- Successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Demonstrated experience with social media platforms and building communication strategy and implementation around new and immerging platforms.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive, strategic communications, media relations program, social engagement to advance SLDC’s mission and goals
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including conflict resolution skills
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Excellent and persuasive communicator
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with leadership, media, public, public officials, influencers, and staff.
Under limited supervision the director develops and implements SLDC’s communications strategy. Delivers a broad range of corporate communications, thought leadership, public relations, and social media activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning SLDC, its vision, and its leadership. Builds relationships with the media, influencers, and internal and external stakeholders. This position is the organizations legislative liaison.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develops and implements a corporate communication strategy for SLDC.
- Proactively develops communication programs that increase brand awareness for SLDC.
- Works with subject matter experts to contribute to the company’s evolving corporate narrative and brand positioning.
- Proactively engages with media.
- Serves as a key information source for all media contacts requesting data and insights, and manages the development, implementation, and coordination of internal and external media relations strategies.
- Acts as the corporate spokesperson to the media, analysts and the public at large.
- Maintains strong understanding of communication trends and applies learnings to drive organization objectives.
- Cultivates strong relationships with industry and general news media and works to secure positive media coverage for the company.
- Proactively drives the corporate communications agenda.
- Creates and implements corporate and program press releases and announcements.
- Manages communication consultants when needed to meet a defined set of deliverables.
- Assists executives with media interaction, public speaking and corporate events.
- Ensures all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for search and user experience for all channels of content including online, social media, email, mobile, video, print and in-person.
- Directs the development and execution of marketing communications initiatives including collateral, website & tools, public relations, influencer relations, and social media strategy and implementation
- Develops and tracks metrics to measure success of all initiatives
- Coordinates, informs and responds to legislative requests for information. Coordinates and tracks legislative developments. Drafts briefings for various stakeholders in response to legislative/regulatory developments.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Requires St. Louis City residency within 180 days of successful completion of the 180-day probationary period.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- Exposure to elements during site visits.
- Requires the ability to lift and carry files/papers of up to ten pounds.
- Requires the ability to distinguish objects clearly in near vision for writing and computer work.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
St. Louis Development Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, disability, sex or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or marital or family status.
Apply using the online application portal. If you are unable to use the online portal, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (314) 657-3700 and ask for the human resources department.