Director of Minority Business Development and Compliance
Director of Minority Business Development and Compliance Job Posting
St. Louis Development Corporation
Title: Director, Minority Business Development and Compliance | Grade: 18 | FL: E
Supervisor's Title: Executive Director
Department: Minority Business Development
Positions Supervised: Contract Compliance Manager (M/WBE), and dotted line Agency Administrative Assistant.
Bachelors degree in public administration, business administration, urban planning, or related field. Masters degree in related field preferred. A minimum of 7+ years economic/business development and/or small business development with an emphasis in minority business development. Experience building and leading an effective department. Ability to work effectively with a variety of individuals with diverse interests and backgrounds a must. Must have the ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines, and direct program development. Excellent writing and communications skills needed. General knowledge of not-for-profit board procedures is helpful.
Under the direction of the Executive Director of St. Louis Development Corporation (SLDC) and the Mayor’s office, the Director provides direction and leadership in the development of programs and services, which advance opportunities for growth of minority-owned and women-owned businesses (MBE WBE). The Director works with SLDC departments, City departments, developers and with community partners to facilitate the increase and success of minority-owned and women-owned businesses, including increasing quantity of new or existing qualified MBE and WBE and increasing access to City contracts and other opportunities. Manages the execution and implementation of all M/WBE executive orders, and/or ordnances related procedures/policies/practices/strategies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develops and implements a comprehensive strategy for fostering information, growth, and stability of MBEs and WBEs in the City.
- Develops, coordinates, and conducts seminars to promote resources available to M/WBEs. This includes business management training, access to capital, relocation services, certification assistance and business fairs.
- Works closely within the MBE and WBE community to gain and maintain an accurate and up-to-date understanding of the business climate for M/WBEs. Develops and maintains statistical reports helpful in understanding what is happening in the M/WBE business community.
- Works closely with SLDC staff and developers to assist in meeting M/WBE goals on development projects.
- Directs the Contract Compliance Manager in M/WBE Compliance related to executive orders and related ordinances.
- Markets, promotes, and advocates MBEs and WBEs to the general community.
- Coordinates interdepartmental efforts for planning, permitting, financing, and tax incentives to assist firms in expansion and relocations.
- Researches, secures, and administers grants focused on M/WBEs.
- Works to improve access to capital and financial programs for the M/WBE community.
- Develops and maintains relationships with local, state, and Federal agencies involved with formation and growth of MBEs and WBEs.
- Fosters the City’s image with community groups and organization with diverse groups including MBEs and WBEs.
- Collaborates with the Business Resource Council to assess and develop systems to improve management skills of MBEs and WBEs.
- Works closely with the Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Office to assist MBEs and WBEs through the certification process; identifies gaps in the available pool; and markets the DBE certification process to MBEs and WBEs when appropriate.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Requires St. Louis City residency within 180 days of regular employment status.
- Requires valid driver’s license - site visits.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- Exposure to elements during site visits.
- Requires the ability to lift and carry files/papers of up to ten pounds.
- Requires the ability to stoop, crouch, balance, bend, and climb during site visits.
- Requires the ability to distinguish objects clearly in near vision for writing and computer work.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
St. Louis Development Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, disability, sex or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or marital or family status.