Major Project Manager II 2020
Promotes and facilitates development projects in strategic areas and plans, organizes, monitors, manages, and evaluates economic development project activities
Under limited supervision, promotes and facilitates development projects in strategic areas. Plans, organizes, monitors, manages, and evaluates economic development project activities.
Responsibilities include: coordinating, directing, and implementing programs and projects that support commercial and industrial development; workforce development; construction project management; the attraction of and assistance to domestic and international businesses; development of public facilities and infrastructure; small business development initiatives; innovation/technology development initiatives, and/or other economic development, redevelopment, or capital improvement programs or projects.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Manages all aspects of assigned major project areas to ensure successful development completion.
- Assists in representing SLDC on economic development boards and committees, and other issues as assigned
- Develops management plans including current and critical path schedules for projects.
- Meets and works with innovation/technology development programs, citizen committees, special interest groups, non-profit organizations, and neighborhood groups concerning economic development issues and problems.
- Performs economic development ombudsman duties with City departments and outside agencies for project areas. Coordinates with developers, other departments, city agencies, and state and federal agencies to assure that projects stay on schedule and within budget.
- Evaluates projects on a cost/benefit basis.
- Prepares reports on economic development activities.
- Negotiates development agreements and contracts with private developers where necessary.
- Drafts request for proposals/qualifications, and manages negotiating process. Manages the RFQ/RFP process.
- Analyzes third-party proposals and identifies appropriate strategies to assist the parties involved.
- Prepares board resolutions required for approval of various phases of the development process.
- Researches, applies for, and manages grant proposals.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Work includes site visits in the field.
- Ability to drive – site visits.
- Ability to walk and move around buildings with uneven flooring and rubble
- Exposure to elements during site visits
- Requires the ability to lift and carry files/papers of up to twenty pounds.
- Requires the ability to stoop, crouch, balance, bend, and climb during site visits.
- Requires the ability to distinguish objects clearly in near vision for writing and computer work.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
St. Louis Development Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, disability, sex or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, veteran's status or marital status.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Public or Business Administration, Economic Development, MBA, or a related field. Extensive (5+ years) progressively responsible work experience at a level that required supervision or management of projects and programs in economic development, redevelopment, commercial real estate development, business assistance, construction management, public facility or infrastructure development, and public and/or private finance.
Work requires considerable independent judgment and initiative in combining a broad scope of professional planning and economic development knowledge and sophisticated, analytical judgments to solve a variety of complex, technical problems. Must have strong, demonstrated communication skills (public speaking, persuasive writing, report writing, negotiation, building consensus, communicating complex topics/concepts to varied audiences). Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience with mapping software with the ability to create maps with layered data (i.e., ERSIs and ArcView) a plus. Able to adapt quickly to new technology – document management software, databases, project management software, mapping tools. Etc.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Requires St. Louis City residency within 180 days of successful completion of the 180-day probationary period.
- Requires valid driver’s license - site visits/commercial area surveys.
Applications are taken online only using the application portal.