MWBE Contract Compliance Manager
Manages all day-to-day operations and supervision of the M/WBE Compliance department. The M/WBE Compliance Manager is responsible for managing the program to increase the utilization of minority and women-owned enterprises in public funded projects and provide public outreach to the minority and women-owned enterprise communities. This position builds relationships with key community leaders, developers, and the M/WBE community.
Title: M/WBE Contract Compliance Manager | Grade: 16 | FLSA: E
Supervisor's Title: Minority Business Development and Compliance Director
Department: Minority Business Development and Compliance
Positions Supervised: Contract Compliance Specialists
Under limited supervision of the Director of Minority Business and Compliance Director. Manages all day-to-day operations and supervision of the M/WBE Compliance department. The M/WBE Compliance Manager is responsible for managing the program to increase the utilization of minority and women-owned enterprises in public funded projects and provide public outreach to the minority and women-owned enterprise communities. This position builds relationships with key community leaders, developers, and the M/WBE community.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Manages the M/WBE compliance program not only to assure compliance with the City’s inclusion standards and legislation.
- Interviews, hires, trains, evaluates, and disciplines staff as needed; supervises assigned staff and performs their duties in their absence; responsible for staff performance evaluations; and prepares and reviews various management reports for area of responsibility.
- Builds relationships with community leaders, advocacy organizations, developers, the M/WBE community with the end goal to increase participation, provide opportunities and remove barriers for M/WBEs.
- Assures that all MBEs and WBE's projected for use have been certified by the City of St. Louis prior to bid opening. Attends, participates in, and makes crucial decisions in meetings with developers, contractors and subcontractors at pre-award conferences.
- Conducts or directs the Utilization Plan Reviews prior to pre-award conferences and makes or approves the recommendation as to the selected bidder’s good faith efforts to meet the City of St. Louis’ M/WBE goals as set forth in the City’s inclusion standards and legislation.
- Determines whether an M/WBE’s Utilization Plan is acceptable.
- Aids in the recruitment and placement of M/WBE’s.
- Verifies that an M/WBE is performing a Commercially Useful Function throughout the duration of the contract Identifies obstacles to M/WBE contracting and increase opportunities and accessibility of information regarding university projects.
- Conducts and/or directs site visits to construction and non-construction project sites to investigate and document contract compliance and/or document areas of non-compliance throughout the execution and duration of all contracts subject to the City’s inclusion standards and legislation.
- Conducts and/or directs contract compliance reviews and investigations as necessary to track and monitor WBE/M utilization for all city projects subject to the City’s inclusion standards and legislation to assure that participation is counted accordingly.
- Plans, assigns, organizes and directs the work of the Contract Compliance Specialists.
- Prepares annual performance reviews for subordinate employees in the Contract Compliance section of the department.
- Compiles metrics that are related to M/WBE compliance. Develops, tracks and analyzes monthly M/WBE participation reports.
- Reviews and approves Joint Ventures between M/WBEs and non-M/WBEs to ensure that the joint venture is eligible for participation.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with advocacy communities and organizations related to MBE/WBE programs, small business development, and economic empowerment.
- Reviews the Certification and Compliance Rules and the Guidelines and Interpretation of Certification and Compliance Rules along with any associated forms issued by the City of St. Louis M/W/DBE Office to assure the accuracy of the rules, guidelines and forms. Assures that the rules and guidelines are correctly interpreted and implemented by the contract compliance officers and provides guidance as needed.
- Assists the director in the development and refinement of departmental policies and procedures governing contract compliance.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field. Preferred Qualifications: MBA or Advanced degree in related field.
- A minimum five years of progressively responsible, directly related construction experience with management of a M/WBE or DBE compliance program. At least two years’ experience managing professional-level staff and field staff is a must.
- Expert knowledge of federal, state, and local laws/ordinances related to M/WBE regulations and issues and policy considerations of advocacy communities and organizations related to DBE or M/WBE programs and economic empowerment.
- Direct experience presenting to public groups and federal, state, or local public officials; and must have good public speaking skills.
- Knowledge of a wide range of qualitative and/or quantitative methods for the assessment and improvement of program effectiveness or the improvement of complex management processes and systems. Complex problem solving and data analysis.
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with executive and senior managers in SLDC, local officials, advocacy community, developer community, and contractor community.
- Must be highly skilled in both oral and written communication to respond to complex technical problems.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft word, Excel, and WBE. Experience using a contract compliance system such as M or B2GNOW is a plus.
- A proven record of success translating complex issues into clear policies and instructions for use in educating the public and training employees.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Requires St. Louis City residency within 180 days of successful completion of probationary period.
- Requires valid driver’s license and access to transportation - site visits.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- Exposure to elements during site visits (occurs in all seasons and all weather).
- Requires the ability to lift and carry files/papers of up to twenty pounds.
- Requires the ability to stoop, crouch, balance, bend, and climb during site visits.
- Requires the ability to distinguish objects clearly in near vision for writing and computer work.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
St. Louis Development Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, disability, sex or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, veteran's status or marital status.