Real Estate Specialist - Closings and Tax Sales
Facilitate the sale of property owned by SLDC and its member organizations. This position is the primary closer for agency-owned property. The incumbent also manages the acquisition of property through the City of St. Louis’s Sheriff’s Tax Sale process whether through active purchase or default.
Title: Real Estate Specialist | Grade: 13 | FLSA: E
(Tax Sales and Closings)
Supervisor's Title: Director of Real Estate
Department: Real Estate
Positions Supervised: N/A
Under limited supervision, perform a wide variety of duties to facilitate the sale of property owned by SLDC and its member organizations, and manages the acquisition of property through the City of St. Louis’s Sheriff’s Tax Sale process whether through active purchase or default.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Schedules closings; orders and reviews title work, address and clear up any title issues prior to closing. Prepare and review relevant documentation for closing. Prepares and executes closing documents for both residential and commercial real estate owned by SLDC and its member organizations.
- Processes property donations to any SLDC member organization. Orders title work, assists in securing clear title, prepares and records deed, and notifies Collector of Revenue, Assessor’s Office, Housing Court, MSD and Forestry to remove liens. Creates parcel file and transmit parcel information to the property database administrator for inventory inclusion.
- Maintains and submits financial report of all real estate transactions to Director of Real Estate on a weekly basis. Follows receipts, money handling (check, cash, money-order or other) and financial reporting requirements set-forth by the Controller and Real Estate Director for real estate transactions.
- Meets with clients submitting offers or inquiring about purchasing property to answer questions and facilitate the expedient sale of property. Submits to the real estate database administrator to update database.
- Manages Sheriff Tax Sales from start of advertising through confirmation to placement in LRA’s inventory.
- Prepares reports and tools for tax sale communication and tracking. Tracks and updates reports, lists, and databases pre- and post-tax sale. Communicates tax sale properties pre- and post-sale to approved list of recipients.
- Attends tax sales to track sales, bids, and trends when necessary. Updates reports to reflect tax sale transactions for communication to SLDC.
- Reviews all letter reports received by Collector of Revenue. Prepares a final list of properties that will be deemed to the LRA and updates all appropriate parties.
- Researches and prepares legal descriptions and necessary documents for all properties to be confirmed for tax sales or needed for other real estate related projects.
- Prepares and sends notice of confirmation hearing for lien holders and former owners.
- Arranges for the removal of governmental, MSD, and utility liens, and cancellation of property tax on property taken into the LRA’s real estate inventory. Researches all other liens and work with Real Estate Director to find a resolution to remove liens.
- Prepares Sheriff’s Deed for confirmation. Prepares court order and attach list of the Tax Suit numbers that were deemed to or acquired by LRA.
- Creates parcel file for each property acquired by SLDC member organizations. Reviews field report and photos of each property and transmit parcel information to the property database administrator for inventory inclusion.
- Prepares, obtains all required signatures, and records deeds on properties sold or acquired by SLDC member organizations.
- Develops and maintains effective relationship with Recorder of Deeds office, Assessor’s Office, Collector of Revenue’s office, Sheriff’s office, and utilities to insure cooperation with organization concerning real estate records and transactions.
- Provides all relevant information to staff for agenda preparation and commission meetings.
- Reviews approved sales and donations after each Commission Meeting.
- Works with Real Estate staff and director to streamline tax sale process and property closings.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field. Equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience will be considered if candidate can effectively demonstrate progressively responsible experience in real estate working with clearing title, processing real estate closings both residential and commercial, or real estate paralegal work.
- 3+ years’ experience in a real estate capacity closing on property, working with real estate deeds/titles/processes.
- 3+ years’ experience managing processes and projects requiring research, planning, and implementation.
- Ability to handle details, multiple projects, and stringent deadlines.
- Proficient Microsoft office skills a must.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with public officials and general public.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Requires St. Louis City residency within 180 days after successful completion of a probationary period employment.
- Requires valid driver’s license - site visits.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- Exposure to elements during tax sale and site visits.
- Requires the ability to lift and carry files/papers of up to twenty pounds.
- Requires the ability to distinguish objects clearly in near vision for writing and computer work.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
St. Louis Development Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, disability, sex or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, veteran's status or marital status.