Garden Lease Program
The garden lease program helps improve communities, brings neighbors together, and reduces the locations of crime, dumping and decay in neighborhoods.
The Garden Lease Program allows residents to lease LRA lots for a five year period for $1.00 a year ($5.00 total). The lease program is beneficial to both the LRA and to the lessee for a number of reasons. Some individual lots are not for sale because they are needed for a larger, planned development.
Until that development happens, a garden lease gives the lessee site control so that they can fence it to prevent foot traffic, build a community garden or just enjoy the extra space. It also alleviates the heavy workload of the LRA maintenance crew and the city of St. Louis' Forestry Division.
The Garden Lease Program encourages the creation of vegetable and flower gardens, brings neighbors and communities together and reduces the number of vacant lots that can be used for illegal dumping or other crimes.
Over 500 LRA lots are leased right now throughout the city and since the start of the Garden Lease Program in 1994, thousands of vacant lots have been converted to varied and creative reuses that help beautify the city.
- Read the Terms of the Sample Lease Form.
- Download the application, fill out the application
- Submit the completed application witht eh lease fees to:
- Wyvonia Warfield, SLDC
520 Market St., Suite 2000
St. Louis, MO 63103
- Wyvonia Warfield, SLDC
- $1.00 per year ($5.00 for the five year lease)
- Note: Please do not send the $5.00 garden lease fee until your application is approved.
- The cost of insurance on the property if required by the LRA.
What to Expect
Use of a LRA lot for the sole purpose of a green space or garden for the term limit defined in the Lease.
Basic Garden Lease Information
- The Garden Lease Program is available to individuals, neighborhood associations and to community organizations.
- The Lessee is responsible for maintenance and depending on the reuse, may be required to carry liability insurance.
- Each lease request is reviewed by LRA staff to ensure that the reuse is consistent with that particular neighborhood's strategic plan and that no redevelopment is imminent. This process takes from 30 to 45 days to complete.
- Only one application is needed for multiple addresses.
- Leases may be canceled with 60 day notice.
- LRA recommends that lessees follow urban gardening best practices as established by the Environmental Protection Agency.
Garden Property Insurance
LRA and its lessees may be exposed to certain liabilities as a result of the Garden lease program. In the intrest of shielding LRA and its lessees from potential liability beyond their means, lessees of property with a risk of exposure will be required to obtain general liability insurance with the following components:
- The Certificate of Insurance must be provided to LRA before the lease will be full executed and in effect
- Coverage must be in an amount not less than $300,000.00
- The policy must name the Land Reutilization Authority of the City of St. Louis Missouri, St. Louis Development Corporation, and the City of St. Louis as additional insured
- The property to be insured must be referenced in the Certificate of Insurance
- A new Certificate of Insurance must be received in a timely manner follwing the expiration of each term, or the garden lease will be canceled
Land Reutilization Authority
1520 Market St., Suite 2000
St. Louis, Mo 63103
8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.