Garden Lease Program
LRA is seeking public comments on the proposed changes to the Garden Lease Program. Comments accepted from April 25 to May 23, 2018.
The Garden Lease Program allows residents to lease LRA lots for a five year period for $1.00 a year ($5.00 total). The lease program is beneficial to both the LRA and to the lessee for a number of reasons. Some individual lots are not for sale because they are needed for a larger, planned development. Until that development happens, a garden lease gives the lessee site control so that they can fence it to prevent foot traffic, build a community garden or just enjoy the extra space. It also alleviates the heavy workload of the LRA maintenance crew and the city of St. Louis' Forestry Division.
The Garden Lease Program encourages the creation of vegetable and flower gardens, brings neighbors and communities together and reduces the number of vacant lots that can be used for illegal dumping or other crimes. Over 500 LRA lots are leased right now throughout the city and since the start of the Garden Lease Program in 1994, thousands of vacant lots have been converted to varied and creative reuses that help beautify the city.
Public Comment Notice
LRA is seeking comments on the draft policy outlined in the attached draft resolution in advance of the next meeting of the Land Reutilization Authority of the City of St. Louis Board of Commissioners.
Written comments will be accepted until May 23, 2018. Comments will be reviewed by the Commissioners and staff upon receipt, and the policy is expected to be voted upon at the May 30, 2018 Land Reutilization Authority of the City of St. Louis Board of Commissioners meeting. Comments can be submitted using the Garden Lease Public Comment Form or may be sent via mail to:Land Reutilizaiton Authority Attn: Public Comment - Garden Lease 1520 Market Street Suite 2000 St. Louis, MO 63103
- The Garden Lease Program is available to individuals, neighborhood associations and to community organizations.
- The Lessee is responsible for maintenance and depending on the reuse, may be required to carry liability insurance.
- Each lease request is reviewed by LRA staff to ensure that the reuse is consistent with that particular neighborhood's strategic plan and that no redevelopment is imminent. This process takes from 30 to 45 days to complete.
- Only one application is needed for multiple addresses.
- Leases may be canceled with 30 day notice.
- LRA recommends that lessees follow urban gardening best practices as established by the Environmental Protection Agency.
Download the application, fill out and fax to 314-613-7011 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Wyvonia Warfield, SLDC Maintenance Coordinator 314-657-3754 520 Market St., Suite 2000 St. Louis, MO 63103
Read over Terms by downloading the Sample Lease Form.
$1.00 per year ($5.00 for the five year lease)
Note: Please do not send the $5.00 garden lease fee until your application is approved.
What to Expect
Use of a LRA lot for the sole purpose of a green space or garden for the term limit defined in the Lease.
Land Reutilization Authority
1520 Market St., Suite 2000
St. Louis, Mo 63103
8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.