Abandoned and Derelict Cars

How to report improperly stored or abandoned and derelict cars.

  • Email Facebook Twitter Google+


Abandoned or derelict vehicles are eyesores in our neighborhoods and can create public safety hazards to our citizens.  Please report any such vehicles to the Citizens' Service Bureau.


Where Is the Vehicle?

Have the address or intersection where the vehicle can be found ready.

Condition of the Vehicle?

Be prepared to provide the color and make/model of the vehicle as well as the condition - does it have flats? any body damage? how long has it been parked here? is it on the street or on private property?

  1. Vehicles on the street must be licensed and may not park in the same place on the street for five (5) days continuously.  Violators may be ticketed.
  2. Vehicles on the street must be operable.  Inoperable vehicles may be ticketed.  If they present a safety hazard, they may be towed.
  3. Vehicles may not park in the front yard or in front of the building line in residential dwelling districts except on approved paved driveways or parking areas. Motor vehicles are prohibited as well from parking in the rear yard on dirt or grass. All parking surfaces must be paved with concrete or asphalt. Vehicles in violation of these rules may be cited by the Building Division as "open storage."
  4. All property owners are restricted from having any unlicensed or unregistered vehicles on their property. In most cases, this applies to commercial property as well as residential. Vehicles which are strictly unlicensed or unregistered may be cited by the Building Division as "open storage."
  5. Property owners are also restricted from having derelict (inoperable and presenting a safety hazard) vehicles on their property. This includes vacant lots. Upon receipt of a court warrant, the city may remove such vehicles from private property.


Report the vehicle to the CSB using the "Report A Vehicle" box to the right or calling 314-622-4800.

What to Expect

The CSB will route your request to the appropriate agency (Treasurer's Parking Enforcement, Building Division, Neighborhood Stabilization Team, or City Towing) depending on the condition and location of the vehicle.

Additional Information

Retrieving your towed vehicle

If your car was towed by the City, please contact the City Towing Division for information on retrieving your vehicle.

Report A Vehicle

Or call 314.622.4800


Citizens' Service Bureau

(314) 622-4800

1520 Market St. Room 4087
St. Louis, Mo 63103

Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (excluding City holidays)

Contact the Citizens' Service Bureau

14 comments from people like you have helped us improve this page. Keep them coming!

Was this helpful?      
Comments are helpful!
500 character limit
Feedback is anonymous.