Yard Waste-including grass, leaves, limbs is not trash anymore! To reduce waste in Missouri, state law has banned yard waste from landfills.
Yard waste can be easily recycled at home.
- Recycle grass clippings by letting them lie on the lawn, they will decompose quickly and return valuable nutrients to the soil.
- Compost leaves, grass, and other organic yard waste.
- Mulch yard waste by spreading leaves or grass clippings around trees and in planting beds.
The City of St. Louis operates a weekly collection service for yard waste during the spring, summer, and fall months.
- Residents with alley Dumpsters should place yard waste in separate Dumpsters marked "YARD WASTE ONLY".
- Residents with roll-out carts receive a separate collection for yard waste each week, EXCEPT during weeks with a holiday or during the winter months. Detailed Holiday/Winter collection schedule available here.
- Residents may also bundle limbs in six foot lengths and place them out for the monthly bulk pick up. The Refuse Division will accept one pick-up truck load of yard waste each month from residents at either the north or south transfer station.
Large Branches & Christmas Trees
Large branches over two inches in diameter should be bundled in six foot lengths and set out for the bulky item pick-up (view schedule). Christmas trees can be dropped off at Carondolet Park, Forest Park, or O'Fallon Park from December 26 through the third week of January or can be set out for the bulky item collection. Please remove all decorations, stands, nails, etc. Trees are recycled into mulch and mulch is available free to City residents to pick up at these parks.