Yard waste including grass, leaves, and limbs can be recycled - Large branches and Christmas tree disposal
Yard Waste is not trash anymore!
To reduce waste in Missouri, state law has banned yard waste from landfills.
Yard waste can be easily recycled at home.
- Recycle grass clippings by letting them lie on the lawn, they will decompose quickly and return valuable nutrients to the soil.
- Compost leaves, grass, and other organic yard waste.
- Mulch yard waste by spreading leaves or grass clippings around trees and in planting beds.
The City of St. Louis operates a weekly collection service for yard waste year round:
- Residents with alley Dumpsters should place yard waste in separate Dumpsters marked "YARD WASTE ONLY".
- Residents with roll-out carts receive a separate collection for yard waste each week, EXCEPT during weeks with a holiday or during the winter months. Detailed Holiday/Winter collection schedule available here.
- During fall/winter months, when leaf volume is high and may not all fit in your green cart, the Refuse division offers bagged leaf collection. To request bagged leaf collection, call Citizens' Service Bureau at 622-4800.
- Residents may also bundle limbs in six foot lengths and place them out for the monthly bulk pick up. The Refuse Division will accept one pick-up truck load of yard waste each month from residents at either the north or south transfer station.
Yard Waste Materials
Yard Waste Includes
- Grass clippings
- Twigs (less than two inches in diameter)
- Garden Plants
Yard Waste Does Not Include
- Broken concrete
- Tree limbs
- Railroad Tires
- Animal feces and dead animals
City residents may also drop off residential yard waste at the composting operation contracted by the Forestry Division (St. Louis Composting Inc.) .
More information on this service is available on the Forestry Division Composting page.
Large branches over two inches in diameter should be bundled in six foot lengths and set out for the bulky item pick-up (view schedule).
Christmas trees can be dropped off at Carondolet Park, Forest Park, or O'Fallon Park after the Holidays (any time, Saturdays and Sundays included) or can be set out for the bulky item collection. Please do not put Christmas trees inside the yard waste Dumpsters. Please remove all decorations, stands, nails, etc. Trees are recycled into mulch and mulch is available free to City residents to pick up at these parks.