West End

Central West End general boundaries are defined as Delmar Blvd. on the North, southward to N Vandeventer Ave. on the East, westward to Interstate Highway 64 (I-64) on the South, northward to S. Kingshighway Blvd, westward to Lindell Blvd. northward to Union Blvd on the West to Delmar Blvd.

Useful Contacts

Aldermen

Neighborhood Improvement Specialist(s)

Citizens' Service Bureau

Community Sites

None found.

Parks in West End

Amherst Park

Amherst Park

Amherst Park takes its name from Baron Jeffrey Amherst (1717-1747), a British army officer in the French and Indian war.

Learn more

Forest Park

Forest Park

Forest Park was dedicated on June 24, 1876, coinciding with the centenary of the United States Declaration of Independence.

Learn more

Greg Freeman Park

Greg Freeman Park

The park was named after Greg Freeman, a St. Louis Post-Dispatch writer who was beloved throughout the city. This was done in August, 2009 after he died in 2002.

Learn more

Gwen Giles Park

Gwen Giles Park

The park was placed into ordinance in 1959, it was formerly known as Catalpa Park named after the elegant tree with the long seed pods and large heart shaped leaves common in these parts and native to a very small area in Southern Illinois/Missouri/Arkansas/Kentucky and Tennessee along the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. The Catalpa is one of the most quintessential Midwestern American trees truly native to this center part of the country, and has since spread throughout the Eastern U.S.

Learn more

Parkland Park

Parkland Park

This 2.35 acre park was placed into ordinance in 1968 and it totally has the feel of a late 60's early 70's park. The park is across Hamilton Avenue from a massive surface parking lot formerly serving the 1960's era Cook Elementary school, now occupied by West End Mount Carmel Community Services.

Learn more

Russell Park

Russell Park

This track of land was donated to the City of St. Louis by the late St. Louis Architect, Ernest J. Russell.

Learn more

Ruth Porter Mall

Ruth Porter Mall

This narrow 8.12 acre strip of land from the intersection of DeBaliviere Avenue and Delmar Boulevard all the way north to Etzel and Blackstone Avenues in the West End Neighborhood.

Learn more

Samuel Kennedy Park

Samuel Kennedy Park

This park can accurately be described as a pocket park based on the small, irregular strip of land that it was built upon. The sliver of space is between Olive Street and Washington Avenue, just east of Kingshighway.

Learn more

Taylor Park

Taylor Park

Previously it was a grass field. Per a 2010 article by Sarah Fenske in the Riverfront Times, Taylor Park was formerly the CWE Dog Park. The city obtained development rights of the site as part of a recent deal that allowed Barnes Jewish Hospital to take over Hudlin Park, which was technically part of Forest Park, but located across Kingshighway Boulevard to the east. You may remember the park that included tennis courts and playground equipment.

Learn more

Was this page helpful?      



Comments are helpful!
500 character limit

Feedback is anonymous.

12 comments from people like you have helped us improve this page. Keep the feedback coming!