This article is 5 years old. It was published on January 1, 2017.
10 New Year Resolutions to Boost Your Career
1. Read more business content. Focus on reading as much as you can on your field or industry so that you can be better informed on trends and best practices.
2. Learn something new. Take the initiative and learn something new that will help you to bring a new dimension to your job.
3. Publish something worth reading. Commit to writing something that contributes to the advancement of the thinking in your field or industry.
4. Practice a new soft skill. Choose a soft skill, e.g., delegation, active listening or assertiveness, that you'd like to get better at and practice it throughout the year.
5. Give a co-worker some credit. By calling a colleague out for a job well-done, you build your own credibility as a solid contributor.
6. Mentor someone. Support a less experienced co-worker and show them the ropes.
7. Volunteer for a Special Project. Offer to work on a special project.
8. Improve a work process. Make something better within your work setting.
9. Help a colleague. Be willing to go out of your way to help others with whom you work.
10. Forgive a colleague. It's good professional practice to avoid holding a grudge. Forgiveness is a gift you can give yourself as you focus on the important things -- like your career development.
# # #
St. Louis Agency on Training and Employment
Business and Industry