Did you know that as a result of the Affordable Care Act, Medicare now covers a yearly wellness visit and many preventive screenings and services? Preventive services like these can find health problems early, when treatment works best. These services can also help keep you from getting certain diseases or illnesses.
Take Advantage of your yearly Wellness Visit
If you have Medicare, the yearly wellness visit is your opportunity to talk with your doctor to make sure you're getting the care you need, including a review of any prescriptions you are taking. At this visit, you and your doctor can do the following:
· Review your medical and family history
· Create a list of your current providers and prescriptions
· Take height, weight, blood pressure, and other routine measurements
· Create a screening schedule for appropriate preventive services for you
· Create a list of risk factors and treatment options for you
Get discounts on prescription drugs
If you have Medicare prescription drug coverage and you're in the doughnut hole during 2011, you get a 50% discount on covered brand name prescription drugs you buy at the pharmacy or order through the mail. This benefit helps make your prescription drugs more affordable so you will take them as prescribed to stay healthy.
Keep you, and your friends and family healthy
The best way to stay well is to live a healthy lifestyle. You can be healthier and prevent disease by exercising, eating well, keeping a healthy weight, and not smoking. Getting preventive services you need is just another way of taking good care of your health. Tell your friends and family with Medicare about them, too. Because when you share the news, you share the health.
Need more information?
· Visit www.MyMedicare.gov to see descriptions of covered preventive services and track the services you get.
· Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.
Department of Human Services