St. Louis Public Library
Community,Libraries, Museums, and Cultural Venues
The dedication ceremony that officially opened Central Library was held 100 years ago on Jan. 6, 1912.
Even though Central Library is currently being renovated, the St. Louis Public Library will be celebrating Central's 100th birthday on Saturday, Jan. 7 with programs and activities at Branches throughout its system.
Here are a few of the activities planned:
- Music from the early 1900s at Baden, Central Express, and Divoll.
- Storytellers including Annette Harrison, Loretta Washington, Dianne Moran, Kathy Schottel, and Carole Shelton bring to life fascinating female historical figures at Branches throughout the City.
- The Gateway LEGO Users Group builds a LEGO replica of Central Library at Carpenter beginning at 9 a.m. Patrons can join the construction team from 2 - 4 p.m.
- Spinning tops with Hiroshi Tada at Schlafly.
- Have your photo taken with Central Library in the background at Buder and Julia Davis.
- Bring youngsters to a Branch near you to enjoy making spinning tops, whirligigs, and harmonicas or to play jacks, checkers, pick-up sticks and marbles.
For more information, visit the St. Louis Public Library website at www.slpl.org .
St. Louis Public Library City of St. Louis