ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY CELEBRATES OLDER AMERICANS MONTH IN MAY
The St. Louis Public Library is proud to host programs throughout May in celebration of Older Americans Month 2012. The national theme this year is Never Too Old to Play, which encourages older folks to stay actively engaged in their lives and communities. All events are FREEand open to the public.
This year's Older Americans Month programming includes:
- Senior Film Series—May's theme is "Celebrating Mother's Day All Month." Films are shown at the Buder Branch, 4401 Hampton Ave., every Wednesday in May from 1:30-3:30 p.m.
- Senior Yoga—Kim Spearmon, professional yoga instructor, guides seniors through a series of relaxing poses at the Barr Branch, 1701 S. Jefferson Ave., on May 4 &18 from 11:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
- Monday Movie Madness—May's theme is "It Gets Better With Age." Films are shown at the Schlafly Branch, 225 N. Euclid Ave., every Monday in May from6-8 p.m.
- How To: Practical Solutions—Jocelyn Damper, CTRS, Outreach Coordinator of the Alzheimer's Association St. Louis Chapter, speaks on the daily issues that caregivers face related to safety, dressing, bathing, activities, and more. Q&A follows. Programs are on May 9 at the Julia Davis Branch, 4415 Natural Bridge Ave., from10 a.m.-NoonAND on May 15 at the Buder Branch, 4401 Hampton Ave., from6:30-8 p.m.
- The Last Generation Banjo Concert—Tin Pan Alley favorites are played on May 9 at the Machacek Branch, 6424 Scanlan Ave., from1-2 p.m.
- Fraud Protection—Jack Huelsmann from the Circuit Attorney's Office discusses how seniors can protect themselves against fraud on May 9 at the Cabanne Branch, 1106 Union Blvd., from 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Author Visit & Book Signing—Former KMOX announcer Frank Absher discusses and signs his new book, KMOX: The Voice of St. Louis, on May 12 at the Buder Branch, 4401 Hampton Ave., at 10 a.m. Books available for purchase courtesy of the author.
- Lifelong Learning Institute Presents Peer Learning—Lifelong Learning Institute shares examples of work from its creative writing class. Includes a short presentation about learning opportunities that emphasize peer learning and active class participation on May 12 at the Schlafly Branch, 225 N. Euclid Ave., from2-4 p.m.
- Hula Hoop Contest & Other Games—Seniors journey back to the 1950s and participate in a hula hoop contest, hot potato, musical chairs & other games. The person that hulas the longest wins a prize on May 14 at the Baden Branch, 8448 Church Road, from10 a.m.-Noon.
- Author Visit & Book Signing—Hari Campbell discusses and signs his book, Shawmaul's House, on May 17 at the Divoll Branch, 4234 N. Grand Blvd., at 1 p.m. Books available for purchase courtesy of the author.
- 10th Anniversary Party—Celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Carpenter Branch's renovation. Enjoy an exhibit of vintage birthday cards and sign the birthday card on May 19 at the Carpenter Branch, 3309 S. Grand Blvd., from3-4:30 p.m.
- Internet Job Preparation—A PowerPoint presentation designed to help seniors discover if they are ready to start their job search on May 21 at the Baden Branch, 8448 Church Road, from10 a.m.-Noon. Computer skills not necessary.
- Step for Fitness!—Learn the history of line dancing and practice on May 24 at the Carpenter Branch, 3309 S. Grand Blvd., from 3-4:30 p.m. Wear comfortable clothing.
For more information, call 314-206-6779.
# # #
St. Louis Public Library
Arts and Entertainment Events