St. Marcus Commemorative Park
Overview and amenities for St. Marcus Commemorative Park
Per the Webster University Library page and Ancestry.com:
St. Marcus Commemorative Park started as a German Evangelical cemetery established in 1856 and was closed in 1960. Old St. Marcus was dedicated on March 29, 1856 in the presence of Pastor G. W. Walls of St. Marcus Parish and Pastor L. Nollau of St. John Parish. The cemetery was divided into an area for family plots and an area for single graves ("commons"). Only a fraction of the cemetery's graves (2,290 of about 19,5000 total) were maintained through perpetual care, leading to neglect and dereliction. Burials were prohibited by the city after 1960. It was sold to the city in 1977 and afterwards turned into a walking park. Although many of the original grave markers remain, most have been destroyed through vandalism or have been moved. Money from the cemetery's sale was used to move graves under perpetual care to New St. Marcus Cemetery.
The park is a really a sloping piece of land at his highest point near Gravois and going down toward Ruth Drive to the east. The bike path that goes through here is winding with a tree lined border.
The park was rededicated to U.S. Veterans whose headstones were made into a walls and frame a small seating area.
- Greenway Bike Trail (Bike Trails)
Park and Amenities Map
3 comments from people like you have helped us improve this page. Keep the feedback coming!