Air Pollution Control
Air Pollution Control provides permitting approval for the following: asbestos abatement, demolition, and occupancy. Inspectors also provide site monitoring and enforcement required by the City ordinance.
As of November 1, 2019, the City of St. Louis Department of Health (DOH) is the delegated authority for asbestos and demolition notifications and inspections. The department's Air Pollution Control Program performs these roles under an agreement with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources. This agreement gives DOH the local authority to ensure that our community is not unnecessarily exposed to asbestos during renovation and demolition projects.
Air Pollution Control:
8:00 AM-10:00 AM
Air Pollution Control Program
Asbestos abatement projects consisting of greater than 10 sqare feet, 16 linear feet, or 3 cubic feet of asbestos-containing material fall under Ordinance 71332.
Submission of demolition, renovation, and abatement projects should be entered into the STL City Permits website.
Report an Air Pollution Problem
Asbestos pollution, demolition dust, vehicle regularly idling over 5 minutes, and open burning concerns.
Air Pollution Asbestos Notifications
Current asbestos notification projects in the City of St. Louis
Applicable local, state, and federal regulations for the City of St. Louis are the following:
- City of St. Louis Ordinance 71332 (regulation and control of Air Pollution within the City of St. Louis)
- City of St. Louis Ordinance 71260 (regulation of recreational fires)
- State of Missouri - Air Quality Standards, Definitions, Sampling and Reference Methods and Air Pollution Control Regulations (Division 10, Chapter 6)
- Federal Regulations - National Emission Standard for Asbestos
Below are the fees for services provided by the Air Pollution Control Program. Payments may be made by bringing a BUSINESS CHECK or MONEY ORDER to the City of St. Louis Department of Health, 1520 Market St., Room 4051, St. Louis, MO 63103. Credit Card payments are not available at this time. Payments are accepted during the hours of 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM, Monday through Friday (except on city holidays).
|Annual Asbestos Notification (due 10 calendar days before January 1)||$200|
|Air Pollution Demolition Notification||
|Asbestos Project Notification (NESHAP level)||$200|
| Asbestos Abatement Notification (equal to or greater than
10 square feet, 16 linear feet, 3 cubic feet up to NESHAP level)
|Asbestos Inspection (up to two visits)||$200|
|Application for Variance||$50|
| Administrative Citation Fine (doubles if not paid in 30 days or
repeat of same violation in one year)
Request for Administrative Citation Fine Hearing
The forms below should be used if you are unable to complete your project notification through STL City Permits.
- Asbestos Abatement Project Notification
- Asbestos Abatement Project Amendment
- Asbestos Abatement Post Notification
Demolitions or renovations within the City of St. Louis should include the following forms.
- City of St. Louis Building Division
- City of St. Louis Building Division Demolition Handbook
- Environmental Protection Agency - National Emission Standards for Asbestos
1 comment from someone like you has helped us improve this page. Keep the feedback coming!