Mortgage Assistance Program 2022
City of St. Louis residents who are experiencing financial hardship and meet the qualifications can apply for the mortgage assistance program.
The Department of Human Services is providing a Mortgage Assistance Program for homeowners in the City of St. Louis. $2,500,000 in ARPA funds has been allocated to prevent foreclosures in St. Louis City. Households that have been affected by the COVID pandemic and resulting economic crisis and have fallen 30 days or more behind on their home mortgages are eligible to apply for assistance.
If you are eligible, the agencies assisting with this program will walk you through the process of filling out the application, acquiring the needed documents and making arrangements with mortgage lenders. The process from start of application to mortgage lenders receiving payment is estimated to take between 3-6 weeks for those households meeting all requirements.
You may apply for assistance provided you meet the following requirements:
- Your mortgage is on a St. Louis City property (check your address to see if your property is in the City)
- Your mortgage is 30 days or more past due
- Your household has an income of 150% or less of the Area Median Income (AMI)
- You have experienced financial hardship due to COVID-19
- You currently own AND occupy the property as your primary residence
|Family Size||50% AMI: Very Low||80% AMI: Low||100% AMI: Median||150% AMI|
- Identity Verification: At least ONE of the following documents (photo ID):
- Driver’s License
- Government-Issued ID
- Military ID
- Corporate ID card
- Tribal Photo ID
- Property Verification: Mortgage statement showing outstanding mortgage due
- Owner Occupied Verification: City Assessor Print Out that “Owner of Record” matches applicant name.
- Utility Verification: Gas/Electric/Internet bill/statement for the property in applicant's name
- Income Verification
- Financial Hardship Verification
- Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Check your address to ensure you're within the city limits.
- Confirm that you can provide the proper documentation.
- Contact the agency responsible for mortgage assistance in your zip code.
The Department of Health has engaged three different agencies, which will assist you in the process of applying for assistance. Your agency is assigned according to your zip code:
Southwest St. Louis: zip codes 63109, 63116, 63119*, 63123*, 63143*
Salvation Army Midland Division
Northeast and Southeast St. Louis: zip codes 63101, 63102, 63104, 63107, 63111, 63118, 63125*, 63147
Urban League of Metro St. Louis
Central and Northwest St. Louis: zip codes 63103, 63105*, 63106, 63108, 63110, 63112, 63113, 63115, 63117*, 63120, 63130*, 63136*, 63137*, 63138*, 63139
Park Central Development Corporation
Phone: 314-535-5311, ext 2022
*County zip codes, where a small portion are city addresses.
- All payments are made directly to the mortgage lender on behalf of applicant.
- Assistance for mortgage under ARPA can only be provided one time per household.
- Payments can include both principal and unpaid interest.
- Forbearance balances can be paid if required to reinstate the mortgage loan.
- Homeowners with a previously filed bankruptcy are not eligible unless they provide documentation showing the bankruptcy was discharged or dismissed.
For general questions about the program, contact the Department of Human Services.