FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Mayor Slay joins Congressman Wm. Lacy Clay, County Executive Charlie Dooley and United Way President Gary Dollar to Educate Public on Availability of Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Free Tax Preparation Services
St. Louis – Mayor Francis G. Slay joined Congressman William Lacy Clay, County Executive Charlie Dooley, United Way President Gary Dollar and members of the Gateway Earned Income Credit Community Coalition (GECC) on Friday, January 29th, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. at the MET Center to alert the public on the availability of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and free tax preparation services.
The Earned Income Tax Credit is a tax credit for people who work for low wages. Many of these people don’t file taxes because they know they don’t owe anything – but are unaware that filing taxes may put money back in their pockets. GECC is committed to strengthening low-to-moderate income households by ensuring families have access to free tax preparation, ensuring the receipt of tax credits to which they are entitled, and providing information and access to professionals who can assist to expand their use of the tax credit as tools for building wealth.
As much as $30 million still goes unclaimed in the St. Louis region each year because many workers do not file tax returns – a necessary step to get the credit. To claim the EITC, individuals must meet the following guidelines:
- Have earned income
- Have a valid Social Security number
- Not have investment income that exceeds $3,100
- Cannot have “married filing separately” status
- Must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien all year
- Cannot be a qualifying child or another person
The Gateway EITC Community Coalition can help determine if St. Louisans are eligible for the credit. Starting January 30th, GECC will begin free tax preparation services at various locations throughout the area for low and moderate income individuals and families earning less than $49,000. For information on tax preparation sites, call the United Way's 211 number or 1-800-427-4626.
Press Secretary to the Mayor
Office Phone: (314) 622-3479
Office of the Mayor
Most Read News
- Comptroller Darlene Green Named a Trailblazing Woman in Public Finance Honorees recognized by Northeast Women in Public Finance at gala in New York City
- City of St Louis Winter Outreach and Shelter Operations in Effect for Thursday December 7th Increased Outreach and Shelter Beds Available
- Statement on Scottrade Center Renovations - Dec 5 Statement from the Office of the Comptroller, dated December 5, 2017, on the financing of Scottrade Center Renovations