Buder Playground

Overview and amenities for Buder Playground

  • Email Facebook Twitter Google+
Buder Playground
Buder Playground by Mark Groth

Buder Playground was named after Susan Rassieur Buder, a notable German immigrant who settled in St. Louis. A St. Louis City school, library and St. Louis County Park were also named in honor of Ms. Buder.

As the mother of five sons, Buder was interested in the welfare of children. According to her wishes, a public bathhouse, a swimming pool, a playground and a community center were given to the children of St. Louis.

Later, her sons gave more than 100 acres along the Meramec River to the city to be used as a recreational farm by the general public.

After her death, the South St. Louis community where she had lived petitioned the Board of Education to name a South Side school for her. Each member of the first graduating class of the Susan R. Buder School was awarded a scholarship to Washington University through a fund donated by her sons. (findagrave.com)


Ordinance Year: 1912

Size: 2.31 acres

Park Type: City Park

Maintained By:
Parks Division

Related Neighborhoods
The Gate District

Related Wards
Ward 6

Sports Grounds

Sports and Recreation Facilities



1 comment from someone like you has helped us improve this page. Keep them coming!

Was this helpful?      
Comments are helpful!
500 character limit
Feedback is anonymous.