Communication Backhaul Permits are required for any improvements/maintenance proposed within the public right-of-way (ROW) or on City property for telecommunications providers.
A telecommunications company must first acquire a communications transmission system license from the Board of Public Service before permits will be accepted.
- Below or above grade improvements that use City ROW:
- Sidewalk vaults
- Aerial Installations
- Underground Installations
Please note that as a condition of the permit, liability insurance and bond must be maintained and on file with the City.
- Review the Requirements for Installation of Telecommunications Cable and Conduit page.
- Assemble the following information:
- Contact information: Applicant name, business, mailing address, phone, and e-mail
- Estimated construction start date and duration.
- The following documents to upload:
- Fill out the online Communication Backhaul Permit Application including the upload of related documents.
- On the next screen after you submit your information, you will be able to upload your engineering drawings and attach your completed checklist. See the screenshots below for a preview of the document upload process.
- You will receive one e-mail confirmation that the permit has been received. The confirmation e-mail will also include instructions to check the status of your application.
Gross receipts fees will be collected.
What to Expect
The permit application generally takes 30 days. You can check the status of your application using the case number in your confirmation email.
- Each application is reviewed by multiple city departments and agencies depending on the type of permit, the location, and scope of the proposed work.
- If more information or revisions are needed, you will be contacted.
- Once all application review comments have been satisfied, the applicant will be notified that the application is being referred to the next meeting of the Board of Public Service for final approval.
- The Office of the Secretary will issue the permit on behalf of the Board of Public Service. You will be able to download the approved permit, which must be available at the worksite. There may be conditions to the permit.
- Aerial installations and/ or underground installations as required (see requirements).
St. Louis, MO 63110
Monday - Friday 8am to 5pm Production hours vary