Apply for Property Tax Credits and Rent Rebates (Circuit Breaker) for Seniors and Persons with Disabilities

This service helps seniors and persons with disabilities apply for the Property Tax Credit or Rent Rebates (Circuit Breaker) which gives money back to eligible individuals for a portion of their paid property tax or rent.


The St. Louis Area Agency on Aging (SLAAA) helps seniors and persons with disabilities apply for the Missouri Property Tax Credit Claim (also known as Circuit Breaker). 

The Missouri Property Tax Credit Claim gives back a portion of the rent or real estate tax paid for that year by persons 65 and older, or persons 18-64 that receive SSI, SSD, or Veterans Disability. 

The credit is for a maximum of $750 for renters and $1,100 for owners who owned and occupied their home. The amount the person receives is based on the amount of real estate taxes or rent paid and the total household income (taxable and non-taxable).


Determine Eligibility

Applicants should be:

  • 65 years of age or older, or
  • a person 18-64 who receives SSI, SSD, or Veterans Disability, or
  • 60 and older and receiving Surviving Spouse benefits from SSA

Persons living in tax exempt buildings are not eligible to apply for the Circuit Breaker.

Income Limits

For Renters

To be eligible, a Renter must have an income of $27,500 or less for a single person or $29,500 or less for a household.   

For Homeowners

To be eligible, a person who owns their home must occupy it for the entire year, and have an income of $30,000 or less for a single person, or $34,000 or less for a household. 

If you have never filed a Missouri Property Tax Credit Claim, you may file for up to three years (2019 can be filed until April 15, 2022): 2019, 2020 and 2021.

Documents you will need for the appointment

  • If you rent, bring Form 5674--Verification of Rent Paid signed by your landlord. No receipts/letters from the landlord will be accepted.
  • If you are a homeowner, you will need Real Estate Receipts or Missouri Personal Property Tax Receipts. For assistance, call the Collector of Revenue at (314) 622-4105.
  • Social Security Statement (SSA-1099 or RRB-1099). This can be obtained from Social Security Administration 1-800-772-1212
  • Disabled veteran documentation, if applicable.
  • Proof of ALL income from ALL household members, including children (i.e. child support, TANF)

If you would like assistance filling out your application, you may schedule an appointment to have your Property Tax Credit application completed at no charge by calling the St. Louis Area Agency on Aging at (314) 612-5918. At your appointment, the counselor will instruct you on how to complete the form, or the counselor will complete the form and mail it to you for your signature.


  1. Gather your documents as outlined above.
  2. Access, review, download the Missouri Property Tax Credit application.
  3. Fill out the application.
  4. Mail the completed application and documents to:
Missouri Department of Revenue
Taxation Division
P.O. Box 3385
Jefferson City, MO 65105-3385


 There is no charge associated with this service.

What to Expect

The state issues most refunds in less than 21 days, although some require additional time. If it has been 6 weeks or more since you mailed your return, you may call to check the status of your Circuit Breaker refund.

  1. Call (573) 526-8299
  2. Press 1 for English, then 1 to check the status of your refund.
  3. Enter your social security number, filing status and amount of refund.

Additional Information

Find more information on the circuit breaker program from the Missouri Department of Revenue (DoR) webpage.


St. Louis Area Agency on Aging

(314) 612-5918

1520 Market, Room 4086
St. Louis, MO 63103

Monday to Friday 8am - 5pm

Contact the St. Louis Area Agency on Aging

Was this page helpful?      

Comments are helpful!
500 character limit

Feedback is anonymous.