St. Louis Rams Settlement Plan
Information and reports on the management of the City of St. Louis portion of the Rams settlement funds.
When the St. Louis Rams NFL football team relocated to Los Angeles in 2016, the City, County and the owners of The Dome at America’s Center filed a lawsuit against the NFL. In November 2021, the City interests and the NFL settled the lawsuit for $790 million. An agreement was reached in November 2022 to divide the $790 million thusly:
- $275 million to attorney fees
- $250 million to the City of St. Louis
- $169 million to St. Louis County
- $70 million to St. Louis Regional Convention and Sports Authority, owners of The Dome at America's Center
- $30 million to expand The Dome at America's Center
The City of St. Louis, with guidance from the St. Louis Treasurer’s Office, has invested the $280 million won from the historic Rams settlement in a secure account with the Missouri Securities Investment Program (MOSIP), where the funds will continue to accrue interest and grow.
The MOSIP account offers flexibility and interest. MOSIP and its various services provide school districts, municipalities, counties, and more an opportunity to maximize their income potential with secure investments while adhering to Missouri investment guidelines.
Following the seating of a new Board of Aldermen, the City will engage community members to educate residents and to hear their recommendations on how best to use this transformative opportunity for St. Louis. Unlike American Rescue Plan funds, which are bound by US Treasury guidelines and must be spent by the end of 2026, Rams settlement funds face no similar restrictions.
Per the settlement agreement, $30 million of the City’s $280 million share must be appropriated by the Board of Alderman before June 30, 2023 to keep the funds in the City by investing in the Convention Center. If the Board does not act by the deadline, the City must cede that $30 million to the Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority (RSA).
City of St. Louis Investing $280 Million Rams Settlement Haul to Secure Funds, Accrue Interest
01/12/2023 - Settlement funds invested in a secure account with the Missouri Securities Investment Program (MOSIP)
Joint Statement from Mayor Tishaura O. Jones and St. Louis County Executive Sam Page on the Rams and NFL Settlement
11/24/2021 - $790 million settlement agreement signed
- January 4, 2016: It's official: The St. Louis Rams want to move to Los Angeles
- November 24, 2021: St. Louis city and county score $790 million in Rams settlement
- November 27, 2021: Touchdown St. Louis: A Recap of the NFL and Rams Lawsuit
- November 22, 2022: St. Louis reaches tentative agreement on splitting Rams settlement money
Office of the Mayor
City Hall Room 200
St. Louis, MO 63103
8 AM - 5 PM Monday through Friday
Office of the Treasurer
1200 Market Street,
City Hall, Room 220
St. Louis, MO 63103-2874
8:30 a.m - 4:30 p.m.