Data from the 2020 Census will be used to determine funding to state and city governments, redistricting, projecting future transportation needs, assessing areas eligible for housing assistance, and designing facilities for people with disabilities.
The purpose of the Census 2020 Complete Count Committee is to ensure an accurate census count, so that St. Louisans receive an equitable share of federal funding to meet the City’s needs. The Committee, comprised of up to 25 members, will be appointed by Mayor Krewson.
A committee chair, also appointed the mayor, will delegate responsibilities. Mayor Krewson will draw from a wide-range of stakeholders ensuring that the diversity of St. Louis is represented.
Membership will include:
- Representatives from the nonprofit and community services sectors
- Representatives from area school districts
- Representatives from relevant City departments
- Representatives of faith-based organizations
- Representatives from local institutions of higher education
- Representatives from City-based business enterprises
- Elected officials
Other representatives as deemed necessary by the chair “A complete count in the 2020 Census is critical for residents of St. Louis,” Mayor Lyda Krewson said. “There are more than 130 federal programs tied in some way to the Census, from food assistance and unemployment insurance, to education programs and victim assistance.
It is vitally important that we get the most accurate count possible to continue to move St. Louis forward.”
Office of the Mayor
Most Read News
- First Day of School and School Attendance August brings Summer fun to a close and ushers in the start of another school year. The first day of school symbolizes the beginning of a new chapter in a child's life and can be both exciting and stressful.
- Ferry to Receive Award from the International Economic Development Council Ferry to Receive Award from the International Economic Development Council document
- Comptroller Darlene Green congratulates ownership group and soccer fans on selection of St. Louis for MLS expansion team Comptroller Darlene Green congratulates the MLS4TheLou ownership group and soccer fans for their successful effort to secure an MLS franchise for St. Louis.