Kiener Plaza

Overview and amenities for Kiener Plaza

Kiener Plaza
Kiener Plaza by Paul Sableman

This 1.9 acre park, was originally dedicated in 1962.  Named in honor of Kiener who was born in St. Louis on February 27, 1881. He was an amateur boxer, wrestler, and swimmer, but he is most noted for his position on the U.S. track team at the Olympics held in St. Louis in 1904 during the World's Fair. Harry J. Kiener died in 1960 at the age of 80.

The park features a playground, fountains and concert area and has a number of paths and a lawn that can accommodate a variety of events. "The Olympic Runner" statue honors the former Olympian, it is the work of Lithuanian-born immigrant William Zorach.

The Plaza closed in February 2016 and underwent a significant renovation and reopened in May 2017. 

Ordinance Year: 1962

Size: 1.90 acres

Park Type: City Park

Maintained By:
Parks Division

Related Neighborhoods

Related Wards
Ward 8

Museums and Cultural Venues

Park and Amenities Map


Was this page helpful?      

Comments are helpful!
500 character limit

Feedback is anonymous.

17 comments from people like you have helped us improve this page. Keep the feedback coming!