Gravois Park Neighborhood Overview
Information concerning the neighborhood history, characteristics, institutions and organizations, planning and development.
Defined by Cherokee on the North, Chippewa on the South, Jefferson on the East, and Grand Boulevard on the West, the Gravois Park Neighborhood sets in southeastSt. Louis surrounded by the neighborhoods of Marine Villa, Dutchtown, Tower Grove South, and Benton Park West.
Gravois Park was originally settled by German and Eastern European immigrants. Today a large number of second- and third-generation residents continues to reside in their family homes, reflecting the quality of life of the neighborhood and a commitment among its residents to maintain community standards.
Reflecting its settlement at the turn of the twentieth century, the neighborhood's architectural mix includes the Froebel Elementary School, founded in 1895. The Concordia Lutheran College and Seminary was dedicated in 1850 and originally occupied a building on the west side of Jefferson Avenue at Winnebago Street before it was demolished and replaced by a large Gothic structure. In 1926, the college moved to its present location on DeMun Avenue in Clayton. The majority of the neighborhood was constructed in the early to mid-1900s.