The Ville Neighborhood
The Ville Neighborhood is bounded by Taylor Avenue on the West, St. Louis Avenue on the North, Sarah Street on the East, and Martin Luther King Drive on the South.
The Ville traces its name back to when the area was called Elleardsville after a prominent resident of the area, Charles Elleard, who once owned the Ville land. St. Louis annexed this area in 1876. Originally home to German and Irish immigrants and a small proportion of African Americans, the Ville is most widely recognized for the strength of the African-American community that developed in the neighborhood by 1930.