Plumbers and Drainlayers, Board of Examiners
Details about the Plumbers and Drainlayers, Board of Examiners
It shall be the duty of the Board of Examiners to meet on the fourth Monday of each month (the Board may make variances when a holiday falls on this date) to: hear and determine any charges or complaints which may be lawfully made against any Master Plumber, Drainlayer or licensed Journeyman Plumber; approve apprentice applications; transact any other lawful business of the Board.
The mayor, with BOA approval, appoints all Five (5) members
Apply to Serve (5 openings)
Openings include appointments labeled "Serving Beyond Term."
Serving Beyond Term
Serving Beyond Term
Serving Beyond Term
Serving Beyond Term
Ordinance 69255 (Section 111), Ordinance 66615 (Section 111), Ordinance 65031, Ordinance 60826, Ordinance 70825 (Stipends), Ordinance 65932 (Table P-14A Board and Committee Fees)
Rev. Mo. Stat. 341.040
Board Duties and Purpose
111.3 Powers and duties of the Board of Examiners.
It shall be the duty of the Board of Examiners to meet on the 4th Monday of each month (the Board may make variances when a holiday falls on this date) to: hear and determine any charges or complaints which may be lawfully made against any Master Plumber, Drainlayer or licensed Journeyman Plumber; approve apprentice applications; transact any other lawful business of the Board. Additional meetings may be held at the request of the chairman of the board. Suitable quarters for the use of the Board of Plumbing Examiners shall be provided. Three (3) members of the Board of Examiners in attendance shall constitute a quorum. A majority vote of the board members present is necessary for the approval of any motion.
1. Administration - The Board of Examiners shall receive applications and they shall approve or deny licenses as described herein based on Sections 111.7, 111.8, 111.9, 111.10 and 111.11.
2. Test - The Board of Examiners shall prescribe the administration, form and content of tests for master plumbers, master drainlayers, journeyman plumbers and the form and content of licenses as described herein. The Board shall also determine the passing grade for each test.
3. Notice - All complaints by citizens concerning plumbing or drainlaying procedures or rules and regulations shall be made to the Board of Examiners in writing. After a thorough investigation, the Board shall respond in writing to each complaint.
4. Adoption of Rules - The Board of Examiners shall adopt rules and regulations, when and as required at the discretion of the Board, consistent with the provisions of this ordinance and the laws of the City of Saint Louis, related to the Board’s powers and duties as herein stated. Such rules and regulations adopted by the Board shall be posted in the Section of Plumbing Regulations and Inspections for two weeks prior to becoming effective.
5. Inspection - Order the inspection of any plumbing or drain system whenever deemed necessary for the public safety.
6. Revocation/Suspension of Licenses - After investigation and hearings in accordance with Section 111.12, the Board may revoke or suspend any license that it has issued.
7. The Board shall, pursuant to the regulations and standards herein set forth, determine the qualifications of and provide for the examining, licensing, registration and/or certification of applicants who meet the qualifications and successfully pass the appropriate examination, if required, under this code. Evidence of license “The License’ shall be provided to those who meet the qualifications and successfully pass the appropriate examination, or successfully meet all requirements of renewal of the license. This evidence of license “The License” shall remain the property of St. Louis City and shall be surrendered immediately when demanded under conditions listed elsewhere in this document.
Member RequirementsAppointments require Board of Aldermen approval.
111.1 How constituted.
The Mayor, with the approval of the Board of Aldermen, shall appoint;
One (1) City of Saint Louis certified licensed Master Plumber, who will act as Chairman of the Board,
One (1) City of Saint Louis licensed Master Drainlayer;
One (1) City of Saint Louis licensed Journeyman Plumber,
One (1) practicing plumbing designer holding a Certified in Plumbing Design Certificate, CPD, issued by the American Society of Plumbing Engineers who has actually engaged in the design of plumbing or sanitary or sewer systems, and
One (1) representative from the Plumbing Division, the Plumbing Supervisor or his duly appointed representative.
Each of whom shall be a resident of the City of St. Louis or a resident of St. Louis County, each of whom shall be a United States Citizen, and each of whom shall have been actively engaged at the trade or business of plumbing for five (5) years in the Saint Louis metropolitan area. These five (5) members shall constitute the Board of Examiners. A majority of the members of said committee shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
111.2 Term of office, compensation.
The members of the Board of Examiners, except the Plumbing Supervisor or the Plumbing Supervisor’s duly appointed representative, shall hold office for a term of four (4) years or until their successors are duly qualified, unless removed by the Mayor. They shall, except the Plumbing Supervisor or the Plumbing Supervisor’s duly appointed representative, receive compensation for their services, as provided by separate ordinance on a per-meeting basis.
Questions and Feedback
If you have questions or any feedback about this content, please contact:
Boards and Commissions Liaison
Email & full profile
6 comments from people like you have helped us improve this page. Keep the feedback coming!