CDA Workshops and Training Sessions
To assist applicants in the RFP and NOFA processes, CDA periodically holds training sessions to assist in the development of proposals. Please check back regularly for details on upcoming sessions.
2019 Training Sessions for Developers and Contractors
CDA Capacity Building Module
1. The Role of Developer/CDA Process: Please join CDA on Thursday, August 5th at 3:00 p.m. via Zoom for an important workshop designed to introduce CDA development to potential Developers. CDA staff will discuss and define the role of the developer in the housing production process and give examples of what makes a successful developer. This capacity building module will also focus on ways to look at potential projects, the importance of the CDA performed Environmental Review as defined by HUD, and provide a high-level discussion on the design process and other requirements for CDA funded projects. The characteristics of a successful project and compliance topics, such as Section 3 requirements, Davis-Bacon and other federal guidelines will be discussed.
2. Housing Proposals: NOFA Best Practices: Please join CDA on Thursday, August 12th at 3:00 p.m. via Zoom for an important workshop designed to assist developers as they prepare to apply for CDBG and/or HOME funds through CDA’s Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA). The session will be divided in half – the first part will cover the For-Sale application and its completion. The second part will cover the Rental application and its completion. Special attention will be paid to construction and development budgets.
3. Introduction to Architecture, Design, and Section 106 Standards: Please join CDA on Thursday, August 19th at 3:00 p.m. via Zoom for a workshop that focuses on architectural and Section 106 requirements along with requirements for historic districts within the City of St. Louis. Special attention will be paid to working with the Cultural Resources Office and the value of engaging that office early in the process to eliminate uncertainty. View Design Guidlines slides.
4. Building a Successful Development Team: Please join CDA on Thursday, August 26th at 3:00 p.m. via Zoom for a workshop designed to assist developers in building a team for a successful CDA project. Speakers representing banks, insurance, title, architecture, historic consulting and disbursing will be available to provide insight into their professions and answer questions.
5. Round Table Discussion: Please join CDA on Thursday, September 2nd, at 3:00 p.m. via Zoom as we host a round table discussion with a selection of developers and general contractors familiar with CDA, the NOFA process and constructing housing within the confines of HUD regulations. Each of the participants has been awarded CDA funding in the past through a NOFA round and will be sharing their experience with the CDA Housing Production development process.
Discover lessons learned, successes and best practices for a successful CDA development project.
6. *New* Practice Application: Due October 15th, 4:00p.m. By attending all 5 Capacity Building models, attendees shoud be able to assemble a competitive NOFA application. CDA will provide an opportunity for first-time attendees and developersldevelopment teams to submit a practice application. CDA will use the material used in the 2021 Spring NOFA as the documentation for the practice application. Development teams must use that documentation to provide an application to submit for review. Applications will be reviewed by CDA staff who will then schedule a debrief with the potential applicants to provide feedback.
NOTE: The practice application is not available to developers or development teams that have received previous CDA NOFA funding awards.