Trap-Neuter-Return Volunteer Group Traps Cat in Citygarden

“Rally Cat” bite serves as a reminder for rabies vaccinations

August 17, 2017 | 2 min reading time

This article is 7 years old. It was published on August 17, 2017.

The City of St. Louis Department of Health thanks the volunteers of St. Louis Feral Cat Outreach for its work in trapping a cat in Citygarden which may be the “rally cat.” The cat became famous recently after finding its way onto the Busch Stadium field during a St. Louis Cardinals – Kansas City Royals baseball game.

The trapping of the cat by St. Louis Feral Cat Outreach is an example of a larger effort this organization and similar groups perform in the campaign to Trap-Neuter-Return feral cats in the City of St. Louis. Dozens of volunteers spend hours each week trapping feral cats in the community, have veterinarians spay or neuter them, and vaccinate them against rabies. The cats are then returned to the areas where they were trapped. This process breaks the reproductive cycle and can decrease nuisance behaviors like defecating in someone’s yard, digging in yards, jumping on vehicle, or upsetting privately owned cats.

The City of St. Louis Animal Control responds to animal bite reports within the City of St. Louis. If you are bitten by an animal, you should seek medical treatment as soon as possible. It is best to also contact the Citizens’ Service Bureau (CSB) to report the bite. You can call (314) 622-4800, report online at, or tweet to @stlcsb. When contacting the CSB, try to give as much information as possible regarding the animal, as well as your contact information. An Animal Control officer will contact you and the owner of the animal, if domesticated, to verify it is up to date on the required rabies vaccination.

Domesticated cats and dogs in the City of St. Louis are required by ordinance to be vaccinated and registered with the Department of Health. To get an updated rabies vaccination, speak with your veterinarian or visit an area pet wellness clinic.

If you have any medical questions regarding animal bites, it is best to contact your primary care physician. For additional information on rabies, visit

Related Stories

Was this page helpful?      

Comments are helpful!
500 character limit

Feedback is anonymous.