This article is 4 years old. It was published on February 19, 2019.
Getting kids involved and informed about severe weather is important to securing the resiliency of any community.
To encourage the goal of preparedness among students, we are happy to announce that we will be hosting our Severe Weather Awareness Week Poster Contest! The contest runs from February 19-March 6, and any 4th or 5th grade student in the City of St. Louis is eligible to participate.
Prizes for winning posters include: personal guided tours of the National Weather Service facility in St. Louis, MO, fully-equipped emergency preparedness kits, and the opportunity for your work of art to be displayed around the City!
- Entry is open to all City of St. Louis elementary school students in GRADES 4 AND 5 in public, private, and charter schools, as well as any students being homeschooled.
- Poster theme should depict what severe weather in St. Louis means to the student and/or what actions to take to prepare and stay safe.
- Creativity is the key. Individual work is encouraged. Posters with stencils, traced, computer- generated or commercially manufactured stick-on lettering or images will be disqualified.
- Poster should be no larger than 11”x14.” Those larger than the identified size may be disqualified.
- Students should use only crayon, markers, colored pencils, or watercolor/acrylic paint.
When creating your poster, please focus on one the following themes:
Severe weather in the City of St. Louis
Importance of Siren/Warning Alerts
Preparedness (kits, emergency plans)
Pet Protection During Disasters
City Emergency Management Agency
Most Read News
- Yard Waste Collection Discontinued During Winter Months 2023 City yard waste collection will be discontinued starting the week of December 13.
- City of St. Louis Launches Winter Operations to Support Unhoused Neighbors Through the 2023-24 Winter Winter operations to help support unhoused neighbors during the winter season to start on December 1.
- SLATE Missouri Job Center Announces Dates for 3rd Annual Holly Jolly Holiday Hiring Fair This year’s Holly Jolly Hiring Fair will take place in the first-floor conference rooms at 1520 Market Street on October 30; November 7, 15, 30; and December 8, 2023, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.